Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
- Nairobi, Kenya
Business for Health Solutions Background
Business for Health Solutions (BHS) is a global non-profit with an innovative private-sector approach to health systems strengthening in Africa. We develop the capacity of local healthcare enterprises by facilitating remote business and technical support delivered by teams of highly skilled international corporate volunteers. We support promising African enterprises across the healthcare value chain, contributing to stronger public and private health systems, improving population health outcomes. Our model sustainably increases the capacity of local healthcare enterprises to deliver quality, affordable and accessible health products and services to families and communities.
We are a young organization. We started operations in Tanzania in 2018 and now support healthcare enterprises in East and West Africa (Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda & Ghana) with further plans to scale and grow. Our small global team is based in Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Switzerland and the US.
BHS operates through two legal entities: a US non-profit corporation and a Swiss non-profit association. This role is a unique opportunity to establish financial accounting and management processes to support organizational growth.
Main Responsibilities of the Accountant
This position will be responsible for accurately maintaining the organization’s financial accounting records as well as designing and maintaining project and donor financial records and reports. Reporting to the co-CEO, the successful candidate will oversee all financial management and accounting functions, including designing and implementing financial management systems, preparing budgets, and tracking expenditures, preparing financial reports, and ensuring adherence to budgets for two legal entities.
Key Job Functions
- Manage accounting records on cloud-based accounting systems (eg. QuickBooks)
- Manage all accounts payable including ensuring costs are appropriately documented and approved, entering transactions, and supporting the execution of payments
- Maintain accounts receivable records, ensuring records are comprehensive and all payments are correctly applied.
- Develop and maintain online filing systems for accounting files.
- Manage accounting schedules, and prepare and enter month-end closing entries including allocation of costs and recognition of revenue.
- Support procurement process, including serving as a resource on BHS police and reviewing and maintaining relevant documentation
- Coordination, timely preparation, review and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual organizational financial budgets & reports.
- Support the annual audit and preparation of BHS tax forms and filings
- Develop budgets to support grant and other funding proposals
- Prepare financial reports for donors according to grant reporting requirements
- Provide advice to management on financial matters for decision making
- The above list of job duties is not exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
This position is part-time. The duration of this contract is (1) year with the option of a renewal, subject to satisfactory performance, availability of funds and continued need for the position.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, and a minimum of 5 years of experience working in accounting or a related field
- Experience with US GAAP
- Proficient with QuickBooks
- CPA-K or ACCA certification and be a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with financial analysis, grant management and budgeting in a non-profit organization setting.
- Demonstrated accounting expertise and profound knowledge of USAID grants
- Proficient in MS Office
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and coordination skills and the ability to work well with people from varied backgrounds and cultures at all levels in the organization.
Personal characteristics include:
- Curious and entrepreneurial mindset
- Detail-oriented and problem-solving
- Drive to get things done
- Ability to move quickly between collaborative and independent work styles
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
How To Apply