Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Msingi East Africa Limited is an ambitious and innovative industry development organization supporting the growth
of competitive industries in East Africa. We identify high potential industries and foster innovation, growth, and
competitiveness in these industries by providing support, including investment, to pioneering firms, while catalyzing
the right enabling environment for the industry. We are differentiated by our combination of strong private sector-
orientation and skills, and the long-term approach needed to catalyze lasting economic development. Ultimately,
Msingi’s goal is to play a key role in East Africa’s long-term economic transformation. Msingi is funded by Gatsby Africa a member of the Gatsby Charitable foundation, an independent foundation set up in 1967 by Lord David Sainsbury that has worked in East Africa since 1985.
Purpose of the role
Msingi is seeking an ambitious, high-performing Senior Industry Program Manager to oversee its interventions in
Uganda reporting to the Industry Director – Textiles & Apparel and working within the wider Textile and Apparel Industry team. The role holder will work with and assist the Industry Director in leading the implementation of key intervention activities and projects within the industry program with a particular focus on Uganda and the wider East African region.
The incumbent’s key responsibilities will be focused on catalyzing growth in manufacturing and investments in the
textiles and apparel sector; identifying opportunities to strengthen regional value chains; catalyzing the industry’s efforts to improve the markets and incomes available to local producers; and ensuring the industry leads in the development of environmentally sound and sustainable enterprises within the textiles and apparel sector. The role may also require interventions at a primary production level.
Primarily the candidate will be expected to fulfil the following:
1. Facilitating implementation of Uganda’s CTA strategy – facilitate implementation of the new CTA strategy by
closely working with responsible government agencies, private sector representatives and development partners
2. Managing industry intervention activities and projects – including conducting some of the following types of
activities, for example:
· Helping to design technical assistance programmes and managing technical experts to deliver this
· Contributing to broking strategic partnerships between firms and, where needed, with Msingi
· Working with policymakers and regulatory stakeholders to ensure smooth execution of industry development
propositions focusing on Uganda.
· Managing market assessments and feasibility/technical studies focusing on Uganda and aligning them with
the wider EAC context
· Writing motivations for grants or investments to selected firms, as needed, to be presented to the Board of
· Facilitating investment promotion work, industry assessment to identify potential partner for linkage with
investors in various arrangements including but not limited to equity/debt investment, joint ventures,
sourcing arrangements etc.
3. Stakeholder and partner management – Forging and managing relationships across a multitude of stakeholders,
understanding the actors within the sector and being able to map their role and influence in Msingi’s regional TA
4. Project management – including contributing to overall project management by developing country activity
plans and drafting reports for key intervention activities and working with the industry director to ensure activities
remain on-target and within budget.
5. Managing technical experts – helping to identify, engage with and manage external consultants and world-
leading technical experts who contribute to the development work in textiles and apparel sector in Uganda.
6. Conducting industry analysis and supporting country strategy development – conducting analysis to
contribute to the development/refining of industry/sector strategy to transform the sector and working with the
wider Msingi team to periodically review and improve these strategies.
7. Data collection and dissemination – identifying, designing, and executing the gathering of sector relevant data
that will support and validate Msingi’s textiles and apparel strategy in Uganda. Producing periodical data that will
be relevant to other stakeholders and partners operating in or seeking to participate in the textiles and apparel
Msingi’s interventions and the focus of different team members will evolve according to the program needs, therefore
the ideal candidate should be flexible and open to a role that will evolve according to industry needs and resources
available to Msingi.
The role may open opportunities to work across other Msingi programs or geographical locations.
Experience and personal qualities required
Msingi is looking for star-performers that have:
• Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university with a commerce or business administration bias.
• Minimum of five (8) years relevant work experience, with at least three (3) years in a role with significant
management responsibility and autonomy
• Experience in several the following disciplines: partnership and/or economic development, investment promotion,
delivering programmes of technical assistance or business and investment advisory support, financial and
quantitative analysis, market studies or corporate strategy
• Excellent communication and engagement skills with demonstrated ability to form and maintain relationships
including building a network in a new market or industry.
• Experience working in or with the private sector, government, and development agencies
• Good understanding of market sector development approaches is critical.
• Strong commercial acumen, analytical and experience of working on solving complex problems
• Ability to analyze data and other sources of information, probe for further information, make rational judgements
from the available information and understand how one issue may be part of a larger system
• Experience and track record in project management and efficient/timely project execution – whether in a
commercial or a development sector context
• Demonstrated ability to produce quality reports and materials to communicate and share learnings and evidence
from program activities with internal and external stakeholders.
• A self-starter with plenty of energy, excellent interpersonal skills, and high level of emotional intelligence
• Commitment to extensive travel and onsite engagement with partners and industry stakeholders
• A strong attention to detail, quick learner and flexible in a new/changing environment
• Specific experience on the Textile and Apparel sector from a private sector, policy or development sector
perspective is highly desirable
Terms and remuneration
This role is offered initially on a contractual basis for a minimum period of up to 18 months with a high likelihood to
evolving into a permanent employment role. The incumbent may be initially based in Nairobi with significant travel to
Kampala and regionally. Remuneration will be competitive and is negotiable dependent on experience.
How To Apply
If your experience and aspirations match this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae detailing your qualifications and experience, and quoting Senior Industry Program Manager, Uganda – Textiles & Apparel, to Abreham Gizaw at email@example.com and copy TextilesandApparel@msingi.com by 29th September 2021.