Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi is a private not-for-profit teaching hospital that provides tertiary and secondary level healthcare services. It is the first hospital in East Africa to be accredited by the Joint Commission International from the USA. The University Hospital has been providing high quality care for the people of East Africa and beyond for over 60 years.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Manager, Cardiology Services.
- Performs duties to support cardiopulmonary bypass; maintains and demonstrates competency in the performance of all responsibilities.
- Appropriate choice and use of disposable and heart-lung machine equipment and safety devices for the performance of CPB.
- Appropriate maintenance, according to hospital practice guidelines, of the patient’s physiological parameters/variables during CPB.
- Prepares for surgery by assembling extracorporeal circuit, including connecting tubing, oxygenators, pumps and filters. Primes and de-bubbles circuit.
- Prepares, administers and monitors flow of prescribed solutions and medications including circuit prime, cardioplegia, and blood products used during procedures requiring extracorporeal support.
- Develops perfusion care plan and calculates appropriate perfusion formulae to be communicated during preoperative briefing.
- Manages extracorporeal circuits to achieve conditions ordered by surgeon, including CPB, deep hypothermic circulatory arrest (DHCA), coronary perfusion, veno-venous bypass, or partial bypass.
- Maintains supply of blood in system and makes any adjustments needed to achieve conditions specified by surgeon or anesthesiologist, such as changes in blood temperature, oxygen/carbon dioxide ratio in blood, or patients’ electrolytes.
- Receives and interprets blood gas values and assesses adequacy of perfusion. Adjusts and monitors heart-lung machine settings according to clinical practice guidelines for CPB.
- Monitors and maintains anticoagulation according to clinical practice guidelines for CPB.
- Disassembles extracorporeal circuits and mechanical components of the heart/lung machine and cleans all non-disposable items and disposes of contaminated materials.
- Records, updates and maintains permanent records of all cardiovascular bypass procedures.
- Participates in emergency operation of intra-aortic balloon pump during cardiac procedures.
- Prepares and manages extracorporeal support for complex vascular surgery, including descending aortic aneurysm repair.
- Prepares and manages blood conservation systems.
- Prepares and manages extracorporeal membrane oxygenation circuits for veno-arterial and veno-venous support.
- Maintains a working knowledge of appropriate equipment and strategies utilized for complex cardiothoracic and vascular surgery
- Prepares and manages para-corporeal ventricular assist devices for patients requiring temporary ventricular support
- Diploma from a Medical training College (basic)
- Certificate/Diploma in Perfusion Technology (Sub-speciality)
- Certificate in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- (Two) 2 years on the job perfusion training experience in a university teaching hospital.
- Certificates in: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Intra-aortic balloon pump, Biomedical pump, Auto transfusion
- Demonstrates expert knowledge in normal heart function and the various diseases that afflict the heart.
How To Apply