Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req20163
Job Title: Finance Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
The Finance Officer will be responsible for ensuring IRC systems and procedures of internal controls are followed when committing financial transactions in Kakuma and also assist the Finance Manager in financial matters in the field office. The position will supervise a Finance Assistant.
The position will be responsible for among other duties; preparation of cash and cheque disbursements journals, cash flows, cash forecast, Commitment, bank reconciliations, Monthly financial transactions close out and also assist in budgets preparations and budget monitoring, financial reporting, staff training and capacity building.
Field Finance Reporting
- Preparation of Monthly cash and bank disbursement journals by 25th of every month except in September, which should be closed on 30th as it is a fiscal year closing month for IRC
- Preparation of bank reconciliation statements by the close of 25th for all months except for September which closes by 30th.
- Review of all cash advances liquidations to ensure correct coding and adequate supporting documentations are attached.
- Review cash books spreadsheet on Monthly basis and ensure the running balance tally with the cash count at all the times including the close of the Month every 31st
- Review bank books spreadsheet on Monthly basis and ensures that all bank books are closed and reconcile with period bank statements as at each month end.
- Ensure all program advances are accounted for as per advance policy.
- Ensure that all payment request and disbursements submitted to Finance are paid before the end of the month to ensure they are recorded within the same month they are presented for payment
- Ensure that the financial reports are submitted to Nairobi finance department on the 1st of every Month except September.
- Follow up advances & Prepaid expenses & Accruals
- Do quarterly verification for warehouse & SC
- Ensuring donor regulations are adhered to for all aspects of the operations
- Ensure that BvAs are provided to relevant parties on time and accurately
- Assist the Finance Manager for identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
Training & Support
- Assist Finance Manager in training staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, and also assists the Field Coordinator and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Assist Finance Manager to train field managers and officers on budget tracking, review burn rates and provide advise if spending is not happening according to plan.
- Report to the Finance Manager any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and camps on policy and procedures
Bank & Cash Management
- Review weekly cash count and ensure that documentary evidence is duly signed by yourself and Finance assistant
- Ensuring internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursements, receipts and transfers
- Maintenance of an accurate and updated cash flow report
- Liaison with vendors to resolve problems of long outstanding cheques
- Ensuring that all banks are immediately updated on changes to bank signatories
- Preparation of the bank reconciliation for the field office on a monthly basis
- Preparation of cash forecasts and CTR for Kakuma and submission to Country Office for release of funds every 25th
- Monitoring cash usage and requirements and inform the Finance Manager or Field Coordinator of possible unusual activity or requirements
- Working with field and program coordinators to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts
- Ensure that the sufficiency of bank reserves at all times for the Kakuma bank account.
- Assist the Finance Manager in identifying key issues and weakness in the system and provide recommendations for improving control processes or procedures
- Assist Finance Manager in ensuring that the internal controls are adhered to in all areas of operation.
- Working with Finance Manager to assist program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments also ensuring adequate coverage of field operating costs
- Prepare or Run Monthly BVA for all grants and shared with program leads every month
- Attend Grant Opening, BvA review and Closing Meetings when nominated to do so and also in the absence of Finance Manager
- Assist Finance Manager to ensure that all accruals at grant closure are accurate, valid and are promptly liquidated
- Daily supervision and review of the workflow of Finance Assistant for efficiency & effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or Finance or CPA II.
- Computer literate with significant experience in excel, accounting packages & SUN system will be an added advantage.
- The candidate should be mature, with stable personality and ability to maintain confidentiality.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work in and as a team.
- Please make sure to include copy of Certificate of Good Conduct in your application.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.