Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req20158
Job Title: Mental Health Nurse
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Mental health officer, the Mental health nurse is directly responsible for the provision of MHPSS care and assist individuals, groups, and communities in Hagadera refugee camp suffering from the effects of mental disorders, Drug abuse, torture and war trauma in order to reduce their suffering, rehabilitate and enable them to rebuild their lives and communities.
In collaboration with Health team and under the supervision of the mental health officer include and are not limited to:
- Do Consultations at the 3 mental health clinics in the camp and supervision of the Incentive staff working at the various clinics charged with the assessment of psychiatric patients, appropriate interventions, rational prescriptions and referrals of individuals in the camp/local community for other services.
- Ensure that all required documentation is completed in a timely and in a professional manner.
- Provide Psychological First Aid (PFA) to address the mental health needs of the refugees and host community
- Develop, plan, and facilitate trainings for the refugee mental health dept. staff, CHW’S, Medical assistants, Nurse Aids, community leaders, religious leaders, support groups, Teachers, other stake holders and do community awareness campaigns.
- Preparation and compiling of quality departments work plans, weekly and monthly HIS reports.
- Create an appropriate networking system with other and or relevant implementing partners, line ministries, hospital departments and community stake holders through referrals and advocacy.
- Ensure that all work with clients is kept confidential and that ethical practices are always observed.
- Oversee and conduct individual case management of patients on follow up at the mental health department & ensure case management goals are properly achieved.
- Provide mentorship of the mental health assistants working in the MH department through continuous education, guidance, supervision, and support.
- Design mental health trainings for the mental health workers and other stake holders.
- Take charge of the mental health department when the mental health officer is away from office.
- Develop referral pathways and systems, and encourage collaboration between local partners, leaders, CBOS, INGOS & Government ministries.
- Attend inter-agency MHPSS meetings In Dadaab at UNHCR to improve service delivery to our clients/groups and access opportunities to show case what IRC is doing in the camp.
- Assist with any other related activities/duties as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas
- Improvement in overall quality of MHPSS care for all the patients/Clients in Hagadera refugee camp.
- Diploma/Degree in psychiatric nursing from a recognized institution.
- At least 2-3 years in field experience within a Humanitarian, NGO/Agency in the same or similar position
- Extensive experience providing psychiatric care to patients from a busy hospital.
- Flexibility and adaptability to the changing environment
- Skilled at working as a team member
- Working knowledge of English and Kiswahili
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrate flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and needs
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite (Outlook, Word & Excel)
- Able to work in a stressful refugee environment
- Please make sure to include copy of Certificate of Good Conduct in your application.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.