Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req20159
Job Title: Plumber/Maintenance Volunteer
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Volunteer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
The Plumber reports directly to the Construction Manager, he/she will be expected to work within the construction department in collaboration with other sectors in order to achieve the objectives of the organization.
The plumber, in close guidance of the Construction Manager will be expected to Install, maintain, and repair pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in the hospital and residential facilities. Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local and national regulations.
- Assemble, install, maintain, and pressure test all pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, drainage, sprinkler, and gas systems according to specifications and plumbing codes
- Interprets drawings and bill of quantities specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
- Receive and complete work orders.
- Select material and hardware and make time and materials estimates.
- Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water
- Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
- Assembles fittings and valves for installation.
- Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
- Determine sources of plumbing malfunctions and complete repairs as indicated or according to work orders
- Respond to emergency calls as needed.
- Detect needed repairs on buildings, grounds, and equipment following established inspection procedures.
- Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
- Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
- Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
- Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building.
- Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
- Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers.
- Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
- Inspect buildings, facilities, to identify any issues.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance procedures.
- Plan and schedule repairs.
- Conduct periodic quality checks on equipment and systems to ensure everything is up to standard.
- Perform general maintenance tasks.
- Maintain the inventory records for equipment and maintenance supplies.
- Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
- Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
Key Result Areas
- Installing, Repairing, and maintaining plumbing fittings and fixtures
- Facility maintenance
- Documenting/recording information – entering and keeping records of tasks for decision making.
- At least a plumbing certificate/Diploma from a recognized technical institution.
- Ability to communicate in English or Kiswahili
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Previous experience working in similar position
- Ability to manage own time and that of others
- A team player with good communication skills
- Please make sure to include copy of Certificate of Good Conduct in your application.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.