Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) is a leading Pan-African transdisciplinary network of researchers, policymakers, private sector actors and the civil society actors that promotes the generation, dissemination, use and masteryof science, technology and
innovation (STI) for Africa’s development, environmental sustainability and global inclusion. In collaboration with like-minded institutions, ATPS provides platforms for regional and international research and knowledge sharing to build Africa’s capabilities in STI policy research,
policymaking and implementation for sustainable development. We work through national chapters located in 30 countries (27 in Africa and 3 in the Diaspora including Australia, United Kingdom and the United States of America). Our Headquarters is located in Nairobi, Kenya where we enjoy the Diplomatic privileges accorded other United Nations and International Organizations based in Kenya. The ATPS Mission is to improve the quality of STI systems research, policy and practice by strengthening the capacity for STI knowledge generation, dissemination, and use for sustainable development in Africa. The Overall Objective is to build Africa’s capabilities in science, technology and innovation for sustainable development and
global inclusion. The ATPS Phase VIII Strategic Plan, 2017-2022 identifies four thematic priority areas of intervention namely: Agriculture, food and nutrition; Energy; Climate change and
environment; and Health innovations. The Strategic Plan also identifies five cross-cutting programmatic priority areas namely: STI policy research, policymaking and advocacy; Training, sensitization and capacity building; Youth and gender empowerment; Knowledge
brokerage, management and commercialization; and Intra-Africa and global collaboration.
ATPS has over 5,000 network members and 3,000 stakeholders in over 51 countries in 5 continents with institutional partnerships worldwide.
ATPS is seeking to recruit a wide range of skilled personnel to be based at its Secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya to support the implementation of its new programmes and projects. These positions in their different categories and the accompanying requirements are described below.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership in the communications and outreach department of the ATPS in serving its diverse network members with contents that meet the needs of its different network categories;
- Develops communication strategy for ATPS and for different projects and programmes as may be required;
- Markets the ATPS brand across its wide stakeholders including donors, development partners, policymakers, researchers, private sector actors, and the civil society actors among others;
- Regular maintenance and updating of the ATPS website with contents as well as running all the social media platforms on behalf of ATPS;
- Writing, editing, proof-reading and web-designing and laying-out of all ATPS publications on a timely basis including ATPS publication series, Annual Reports, Quarterly Newsletters, popular articles, book volumes, Research and Working Papers, etc.;
- Collecting information and stories necessary for the publication of in-house newsletters four times a year, news articles, bibliographies, brochures, program promotions, media outreach, etc. on a timely basis;
- Assisting in the fundraising effort of the ATPS communications team through proposal writing and bidding for contracts etc.;
- Assisting in running the ATPS Information Resource Centre;
- Working with consulting designers, editors and other suppliers to publish institutional documents;
- Assisting in organizing media and public awareness events and campaigns and other special events, such as the Scientific Revival Day for Africa;
- Preparing the ATPS promotional and advocacy materials;
- Maintaining contact with the press, information professionals, communicating with libraries and publishers for documents and information requested by ATPS staff;
- Assisting the team in media outreach and information dissemination-related activities and supporting the implementation of relevant public events;
- Designing and implementing the ATPS advocacy and communications strategy plans;
Delegation of Responsibilities for this position:
· 80% time to be spent in Communication and Outreach activities
· 20% time to be spent in fundraising activities
A Degree in Communication Studies or any other related discipline from a recognized university is required. A Master’s Degree in the relevant fields will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competences
· Proficiency in English and French is compulsory. Knowledge of any other international language will be a great advantage;
· Strong interpersonal and networking skills to work well with wide range of stakeholders to elicit accurate information and expression of views on relevant issues;
· Strong coordination, facilitation, negotiation, networking, lobbying and advocacy skills;
· At least 3 years proven experience in communications, outreach and public relations, preferably with an international organization;
· Good writing and presentation skills in English and French;
· Strong skills in the web-design and layout of documents for publications.
· Female applicants will be given high priority for this position.
· Good communication leadership characteristics
· A Self-starter with a strong desire to learn
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an application letter stating their motivation for the job and a detailed curriculum vitae with at least three (3) referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com
The deadline for the submission of application is on Friday, 24 September 2021. Use the job title “Communications and Outreach Officer” as the subject of your email when submitting your applications.