Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req20269
Job Title: Nurse
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
To provide holistic specialized or general nursing services to both inpatient and outpatients within the hospital specialized unit or Health post.
The Nurse is directly responsible to the Hospital Nursing Officer in Charge and will carry out the following duties:
- The clinical nurse shall work in specific ward/Health post/specialized unit assigned and would therefore work as both supervisor and team leader of the national and refugee staff.
- Prepare for and assist the doctors during clinical procedures whenever required.
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedures are properly carried out and documented on patient’s charts.
- Carry out minor surgical procedures, screening, admissions, consultation, resuscitation and stabilization of clients in management of clinical emergencies.
- Provide effective reproductive health services based on all pillars of safe motherhood to ensure best maternal child outcome.
- Implement community health strategy in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Refer to the doctor in charge or to the doctor on call relevant information such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living while in the ward/clinic.
- Maintaining psychological well beings through reassurance to patients’ peri operative.
- Observe and maintain infection prevention policy daily and ensure safe work environment.
- Arrange and submit weekly/monthly ward or unit work schedule, plan daily duties and responsibilities for both national and refugee staff and leave plans to ensure adequate coverage.
- Convene ward/unit meetings and attend important hospital or department meetings.
- Escort patients during referral when necessary and facilitate acquisition of legal travel documents.
- Do hospital coverage and on-call as required.
- Participate in camp health surveys/campaigns as required.
Reporting and Communication
- Compile and submit quarterly inventory return/requisition of all drugs and supplies.
- Conduct regular training session for national and refugee staff on basic nursing care/management of various ward cases, documentation and infection prevention.
- Provide individualized health education and counseling related to health maintenance and disease prevention.
- Attend and facilitate Continuous Medical Education.
- Compile and submit weekly/monthly HIS reports.
- Monitor and supervise proper usage of supplies as well as maintain adequate supplies and buffer stock.
- Perform managerial and administrative functions in assigned wards/unit by participating in recruitment, capacity building, and appraisal and disciplinary of supervisees.
- Maintain equipment in good condition and submit regular inventory report of the same.
- Maintain and update key registers in the assigned area and documentation of client assessment, nursing diagnosis and outcomes while ensuring confidential records.
- Ensure that all admissions, discharges, transfers and deaths are properly recorded as they occur and participate in respective audits.
- Report any significant changes in operations to the supervisor.
- Carry out any other additional duties relevant to job description as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas
Assessment, Planning, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation of nursing care services and other related activities within the allocated ward/unit.
- Kenya Registered and/or Community Health Nurse from a recognized Nursing Training Institution.
- Registered with the Nursing Council of Kenya with valid practicing license
- At least 2 years’ experience
- NGO experience in a similar setup is an added advantage.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- At least 2 years working experience in a busy hospital setup.
- Experience in management of children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications desirable.
- Team player and cultural sensitivity is required.
- Ability to work in hardship areas (Previous emergency experience in a remote setting will be an added advantage).
- Fluency in Somali will be an added advantage.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.