Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
VACANCY– SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa–based, African–led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC generates and supports the use of evidence for meaningful action to improve the lives of all Africans through:
- Research that emphasizes health and wellbeing;
- Capacity strengthening that deepens the skills of African researchers, scholars and institutions within the continent;
- Policy engagement and communication that supports greater influence of evidence in policy – and decision–making across sub–Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Senior Program Officer within the Research Capacity Strengthening (RCS) Division, to work on a large scale initiative whose goals are to transform the Research and Development (R&D) ecosystem in Africa through:
1) Designing and running a matching service between universities/research institutes based in all the regions of Africa and funding agencies for R&D.
2) Configuring and running Africa–wide platform–based capacity–building for universities/research institutes based in all of Africa’s regions, to increase their capabilities to do more and perform better on a sustained basis along the spectrum of implementation research.
3) Designing and developing prototypes in selected countries, to link country decision–making systems with national research systems for adoption/scale–up of R&D innovations.
4) Strengthening the African innovation–research ecosystem by developing and deploying connectors – platforms that have cross–cutting benefits to researchers and decision makers.
The overall responsibility of the Senior Program Officer is to support the management of a large–scale capacity strengthening initiative by leading and coordinating specific components of the initiative and supporting the overall Program Manager in the day–to–day running of the initiative.
Coordinate the implementation of specified activities from the overall work plan. This entails reporting and tracking project implementation and expenditure for the assigned activities;
Participate in specific program activities including desk reviews, in depth analysis, partner mapping and capacity assessments;
Coordinate submissions of proposals for support by potential grantees in academic/research institutes from all over Africa and organize high quality reviews of the submissions;
Organize capacity strengthening activities in diverse areas and for diverse participants within the African R&D ecosystem;
Work with grantees to ensure the execution of assigned research capacity strengthening and evaluation projects to ensure timely implementation of activities;
Coordinate outreach activities to various stakeholders including funding agencies, academic/research institutes and national/regional/continental policy making bodies;
Draft technical reports from the various activities;
Participate in learning forums about the initiative, sharing lessons and findings with appropriate audiences;
Represent the Center in high– level national and regional forums including relevant technical working groups and expert committees on implementation research and research capacity strengthening;
Support recruitment efforts for consultants and other program staff;
Contribute to grant writing and fundraising for the program; and
Publicize the initiative to relevant audiences.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a Developmental Research or Public Policy related professional area with a minimum of 7 years’ post–qualification experience.
- Experience managing large scale (multi–year, multi–team, multi–country) projects preferably in research, research capacity strengthening, or policy and advocacy.
- Good understanding of the Higher Education/ R&D/ Policy landscape in sub–Saharan Africa.
- Experience working in a research or academic institution or a policy making body in sub–Saharan Africa.
- Experience conducting implementation research will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in grant writing.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Bilingual language skills (French and English) will be an added advantage.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by October 07, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787–GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons