Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req20346
Job Title: Clinical Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
The Clinical Officer will be responsible for the overall coordination of health activities and supervision of the staffs in the health post/department assigned to. Will work closely with the Pharmacist, Lab Technologist, PMTCT Nurse, Reproductive health officer, Community Health Officers, Nutritionists and others in ensuring quality health services to the beneficiaries. Will also provide support in the hospital as needed, doing ward rounds and ensuring coverage both day and night. May be called upon to act as Clinical officer in charge.
- Overall in charge of the health post unit, or outpatient and MCH department of the hospital
- Supervision of all staff at the assigned unit
- Handling all administrative roles at the assigned unit as per the IRC policy
- Keep complete and accurate inventory of medicines and supplies located at the health post and monitor/supervise their usage
- Assess health post needs regularly, and make routine orders
- Ensuring that weekly orders for drugs and non-pharms are prepared and submitted to the Health manager for approval
- Whenever maintenance is required at the health post/department, fill and submit maintenance request forms to the Clinical officer in charge of clinics for further processing
- Raise Hire Requests for any vacant Incentive positions.
- Set Performance Objectives for personnel reporting to him/ her and monitor their performance
- Perform incentive staff appraisal.
- Attend the monthly clinical services staff meeting and share updates (this is mandatory)
- Plan and manage staff leave and R&R plans ensuring adequate coverage
- Review and recommend changes to JDs of the incentive staffs under your supervision
- Hold monthly meetings with the staffs under your unit and share minutes with your supervisor
- Clinical assessment and prescription of treatment for all patients
- Refer cases requiring specialized care to the various special clinics
- Ensure adequate coverage in the assigned units by arranging a rotation schedule with fellow Clinical officers
- Cover the hospitals during weekends
- Cover the hospitals at night as per the clinical officer’s call/night duty schedule
- Conducts ward rounds in the absence of a Medical Officer
- Properly document treatment on patients’ files
- Maintain an accurate and updated records keeping system in the health unit
- Carry out minor surgical procedures
- Attend to emergencies in the ward in the absence of a Medical Officer
- Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital handover meetings
- Attend and participate in weekly continuous medical education (CME) at the hospital
- Training of staff on job and theory sessions.
- Review of SGBV/assault clients, filling PRC and P3 forms and presenting evidence in court as may be applicable.
Reporting and Coordination
- Ensure all patient records are properly documented in the patient files with all aspects of management being captured
- Compile and submit weekly HIS reports
- Ensure use of iRHIS tablets for reporting.
- Conduct mortality audits for all deaths occurring in the pediatric ward together with other staff working in the unit and share the reports with the CSM on a monthly basis
- Maintain accurate inventory record at the facility
- Prepare comprehensive handover reports to facilitate smooth transition during annual staff rotation and when going on leave.
Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Ensure smooth running of the health post/department, providing supervision, support and guidance to all staff working at the health post
- Ensure quality of care in management of patients
- Ensure complete, accurate and timely data capturing and reporting using all available tools.
- Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are adhered to
- Observation of the IRC Way (Integrity, Service and Accountability)
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Registered with clinical officers’ council
- Minimum 2 years working experience working in health set up
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good clinical skills – history taking, physical examination, ordering appropriate laboratory investigations and make appropriate diagnosis.
- Proven leadership, communication, interpersonal, decision making skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Swahili).
- Computer literacy in the use of MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is desired
- Ability to work and deliver results with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
- Experience of working in hardship area or previous IRC experience is an added advantage.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.