Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Science And Innovation Manager
Main purpose of job
The UK Science and Innovation Network (SIN) is the British Government’s organisation for international science diplomacy. It is jointly funded by the UK’s Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS). SIN has 80+ staff based in 40 different locations in 28 countries and territories worldwide.
The United Kingdom and Kenya have a strong relationship collaborating on Science, Technology and Innovation. This role is critical for developing and maintaining strong connections with a range of stakeholders in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors across Kenya and the East Africa region. Working as a member of the High Commission’s wider science and technology teams, including the Research and Evidence regional hub, the tech hub and digital access programme team, you will identify how the UK’s capabilities as a world leading science nation can partner Kenya’s vision for developing Science, Technology and Innovation as well as recognising opportunities to strengthen commercial links between the two-countries.
Roles and responsibilities:
Responsible for forging and developing bilateral science and innovation collaboration between the UK and Kenya, with a regional watching brief over East Africa. To promote collaboration, diplomacy, people to people links and inform UK policy development in science and innovation. You will:
- Develop high quality and sustainable UK/Kenya science and innovation partnerships that focus on UK and Kenyan priorities, including developing and maintaining a network of senior level contacts across the UK and Kenya research landscape;
- Act as country lead on delivering UK Government science and innovation strategy in specific sectors, briefing and reporting for Kenya.
- Develop and expand the UK relationship with Kenyan research, innovation and funding bodies;
- Work closely with the Research and Evidence regional research hub leveraging and amplifying the UK’s research investment and partnership, , promoting evidence based policy making and the development of Kenya’s research landscape and partnerships.
- Encourage join up across all UK Government organisations in Kenya, including on wider tech and cyber priorities, and to deliver wider UK prosperity objectives, including higher education linkages. Spot and work with Department for International Trade to match opportunities to UK firms
- Provide support to senior UK Government officials and the UK research base regarding the Kenya science and innovation environment; supporting VIP visits;
- Identify opportunities, develop and manage bilateral projects (these might be regional in nature) in order to increase collaboration opportunities for the UK science base;
- Support efforts to promote visibility and HMG coherence on science technology and innovation. This includes the UK-Kenya High-Level Oversight Board on Science, Technology and Innovation and other platforms.
You may be required to manage small projects, these are unlikely to have a budget of more than £50,000.
- MA degree in a scientific/technological discipline or significant (5 years) work experience in a science/innovation role
- Project management experience.
- Be able to work quickly and reliably with attention to detail and with limited supervision;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Strong IT computer skills including MS Word and Excel;
- Good presentation, interpersonal and representational skills;
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships;
- Strong organisational skills and project management experience
- The ability to deliver results under pressure
- Policy development
- Experience of working with Kenyan scientific research organisations and/or an understanding of research funding in Kenya;
- An understanding of the UK science and innovation landscape;
- Experience of working with UK research organisations.
Learning and development opportunities:
The successful candidate will get access to a range of learning and development opportunities, including on the job training and workshops. They will also be able to benefit from the wide range of training run by the British High Commission including on management and leadership, cross-cultural communication, and understanding the UK.
The current BHC working pattern is at least one day in the office weekly while COVID-19 restrictions remain in place. This is likely to change over time, and the incumbent should be prepared to work in the office fulltime. Subject to operational demands, it may be possible to work at least one day a week from home. It may be necessary to undertake representational duties including some outside of normal working hours. Travel around Kenya and to the UK may be required.
- Due to COVID 19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimize any disruption.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
How To Apply