Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About the Team
The Mobile for Development (M4D) team drives innovation in digital technology to reduce inequalities in our world. Singularly positioned at the intersection of the mobile ecosystem and the development sector, we stimulate digital innovation to deliver both sustainable business and large-scale socio-economic impact for the underserved.
Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation (M4H) is a Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) funded programme with a mission to accelerate the delivery and impact of digital humanitarian assistance. We aim to reach 7 million people with improved access to and use of life-enhancing mobile-enabled services during humanitarian preparedness, response and recovery by 2022. We achieve this by building bridges between the mobile industry and humanitarian sector, catalysing innovative solutions, developing insights and tools and investing in new partnerships and services. Our aim is to help shape an inclusive, impactful digital humanitarian future.
What the hiring manager says
“This is an exciting opportunity to join a passionate team working at the intersection of the mobile industry and the humanitarian sector, aiming towards an inclusive, impactful digital humanitarian future. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading stakeholder engagement and management for the M4H programme in the Africa region and potentially others. They will support programmatic activities in the region, facilitate in-country projects engagement activities, and represent the programme at relevant industry events. They will convene and support signatories (Mobile Network Operators) of the Humanitarian Connectivity Charter as well as key stakeholders in the humanitarian and development sector. The ideal candidate will be excited by the role of mobile technology and digital solutions in addressing humanitarian & development challenges, and have a strong record of stakeholder management. Previous knowledge of both the mobile industry and the humanitarian & development sector will be highly relevant.”
As a Market Engagement & SP Manager (MEM), you will have the following responsibilities:
- Build and manage relationships with mobile network operators in prioritised countries in the SSA region in order to identify and catalyse strategic opportunities to develop and support initiatives that align with the programme’s core objectives.
- Build and execute a pipeline of multi-stakeholder projects that help understand new opportunity areas and/or demonstrate impact, including project design, partnership brokering and management, business case and business model development and operational support.
- On-going management of in-country projects. This may include organising and facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops, conducting desk-based landscaping research, assisting with project management and managing relationships across a range of stakeholders (e.g. mobile operators, development partners, start-ups and third-party solution providers).
- Support and convene the GSMA Humanitarian Connectivity Charter (HCC) signatories in the region.
- Provide support to grantees from the Innovation Fund in the region, and collaborate with the Innovation Fun team to support the success of the portfolio.
- Contribute to the M4D learning agenda by supporting the production of high-quality and professional publications, toolkits and blogs which capture lessons and insights regarding business models, learnings, trends, relevant in-market convening and developments from in-market engagement.
- Ensure appropriate coordination of the programme’s regional efforts with relevant internal and external partners.
- Contribute to development of M4H’s programme wide strategy.
- Support the Market Engagement team on the overall strategic partnership and engagement plan for the M4H programme to ensure relationships with key stakeholders (MNO members, relevant private sector actors, UN/humanitarian agencies and NGOs) are established, well-defined and maintained
- Proactively communicate relevant topical developments from across the region to the M4H and wider M4D teams;
- Previous experience within the mobile industry, preferably in the Africa region;
- Experience managing multi-stakeholder relationships and delivering multi-stakeholder projects with some direction and supervision;
- Solid commercial acumen with an ability to clearly communicate strategic opportunities, develop a compelling business case, value proposition and business models
- Familiarity with the humanitarian sector, including an active interest in the potential of mobile and digital solutions to improve humanitarian response
- Comfortable developing and managing relationships with various internal and external stakeholders, including C-level executives and dedicated entrepreneurs
- Proven track-record of working across diverse stakeholders and facilitating results-based partnerships that deliver commercial and social impact
- Experience in business development, project management and product development
- Experience working with donors, international development community or multi-lateral organisations an asset
- Able to quickly grasp new concepts and ideas (given the level of innovation in our sector and the wider industry) and proactively communicate and work as part of a global team.
- Naturally curious, able to think beyond business-as-usual scenarios, and dream big.
- Process-oriented individual, that takes ownership and responsibly without unnecessary management from above
- Excellent team-work abilities to effectively and proactively work with the whole M4H team and the wider GSMA in order to achieve collective programme and industry goals
- Excellent communicator: able to express complex technical or commercial issues in plain language, without losing the important points
- Fluent and compelling written and oral communications skills in English. This includes the ability to draft blogs, discussion documents, concept notes, and reports with minimal review and supervision required
- French competency is a plus
- Should be able to work from the GSMA Nairobi office and have the right to work in Kenya
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently (Covid permitting)
Fixed Term Contract (Fixed Term)
What We Offer
Working at the GSMA offers you unparalleled access to the mobile industry. We offer a chance to truly shape the direction of mobile, whatever your role. By joining the GSMA, you will be exposed to a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment, working on global solutions, genuinely fascinating and industry-changing projects and a stimulating and dynamic environment designed to enable you to flourish.
In addition to architect-designed offices and competitive compensation, our benefits include fantastic learning & development opportunities, generous holiday allowances, four additional days off for professional development and many others.