Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
12 month Fixed-term contract, with possibility of renewal
Based in Nairobi, MSF EA office
Ideal start date: ASAP
Expected start date: Jan 3rd, 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, Eastern Africa (MSF EAS) is looking for a
Staff Health Care Officer – MSF EA
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
MSF Eastern Africa
MSF Eastern Africa is the regional institutional office for MSF in East Africa. The office focuses on representation and networking, including with humanitarian organisations and authorities, recruiting and supporting staff from the region, communications and fundraising, as well as on other dossiers of importance to MSF such as Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI), mutualization, trainings, medical operational support and environmental health.
You can learn more about MSF on our website or via our digital channels – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
The Scope and mandate of MSF EAS HR in the section office is to support and manage staff recruited from the region (International Mobile Staff).
Staff Health Care support for people in and from the region is an important area and a priority for the MSF Eastern Africa Section office. In line with the responsibility for providing and ensuring that a good standard and quality of care exists for staff working in the EA Section office, and assuring that the duty of care as a core objective of the organisation is upheld, this position will be directly responsible for medical support in the EA office, while coordinating and linking with other Sections where needed to ensure good collaboration and adequate support is provided for international Mobile staff.
The MSF EA office has a diverse team of staff working both for the section team as well as staff from other OC’s/Sections hosted in the office. This aspect, coupled with the regulatory environment in Kenya as well as MSF’s responsibility in terms of duty of care for all its staff (including International mobile Field Staff), requires that the office is capable of providing a good standard of care and support to operations considering that Nairobi has the facilities and infrastructure to manage medical care and even emergencies if needed in case of evacuations.
The staff Health Care Officer will work closely with the administration & Field HR team in MSF EA to support both office staff, as well as the OC’s staff health referents for international staff in/from the region supported through the MSF EA office.
PURPOSE OF THE FUNCTION
The main objective of the function is to be the focal point for staff health issues for all staff working under MSF EA and staff visiting/transiting/training or referred for medical attention in Kenya.
H/She will be responsible for MSF EA Office staff health, MEDEVAC and transit support for temporary staff in country, as well as punctual medical support of staff in the MSF EA pool for international mobile staff.
As a member of the HR team of MSF EA, the Staff Health Officer reports to the Head of HR. He/she will link/liase with the Staff Care Units of the MSF operational center’s if/where needed for further technical support.
1. MSF EA Office Staff Health
- Support the definition and Implementation of the staff health and safety framework for all MSF EA staff to ensure their overall safety and taking into account the Legal frame as well as MSF minimum standards.
- Support the development of the necessary policies and guides. Prepare and implement the same, ensuring adherence through adequate ensure sensitization/awareness of all staff.
- Staff Focal point on the Medical insurance application for MSF EA, and link with the insurance and hospitals for follow-up, while ensuring the confidentiality, privacy and integrity of staff information is maintained.
- Ensure confidentiality of personal/medical information of staff.
- Inform/brief all staff (newcomers and recruits) on MSF EAS health coverage. Medical focal point for all health insurance issues.
- Inform/brief all staff on the health situation and risks in Kenya and ensure the availability of preventive measures when necessary (prophylaxis and appropriate advice to travellers or residents etc.). This also includes a watchdog role to alert in case of a new situation in the country (epidemics; situation affecting good access to care etc.) and to take the necessary measures to ensure that staff have access to information and prevention measures, if relevant and according to the situation.
- Be part of the occupational health and safety committee for the MSF EA office.
2. MSF Staff in Transit/MEDEVAC
In collaboration with the OC Staff health referent and Mission Medical responsible, support any staff referred for medical care (normal/emergency) or transiting through the MSF EA office:
- Review from time to time the health structures in Kenya (outpatient and inpatient facilities, laboratories and other diagnostic structures, pharmacies, vaccination & travel medicine centres) in order to maintain an up-to-date list of the level of quality available. Ensure that this is covered through the applicable staff insurance plan and providers lists in the country.
- Identify through this review medical institutions (hospitals, clinics, specialists) and where necessary facilitate agreements to ensure efficiency in provision of care and support of staff.
- Provide support to MSF staff referred to Nairobi (and dependents if in Kenya) suffering from serious medical conditions/illnesses:
- Coordinate contact with the referral hospital in Nairobi prior to and during the entire period of stay or follow up of the staff.
- Liaise with ISOS and the MedCO/Staff health referent in cases where further medical intervention is required, due to life-threatening conditions that require care beyond what is available in Nairobi.
- Act as family liaison if needed, providing support to the person/family and make recommendation for Psychological support where needed (in close collaboration and on request of OC’s).
3. MSF EA International Mobile staff pool
Provide support to International mobile Field staff in collaboration with the OC Pool management and Staff health referents;
- Ensure that staff are adequately briefed and de-briefed, with the information necessary provided by and shared/discussed with the contracting OC.
- Fitness for field deployment: where needed, ensure that pre-departure health checks and the process of obtaining a certificate of fitness are in place for international staff who may need to come to Nairobi for a health check, implemented and functioning well.
- Follow-up on post-mission health issues of international/regional staff.
- In conjunction with the Field HR teams in MSF EA and staff health referent (or Psychosocial support lead) in the OC’s, ensure that all MSF staff have access to psychosocial care, prevention and treatment if necessary.
- Update lists of, and foresee agreements, with hospitals/clinics/facilities/specialists where staff can be supported.
Education and experience
- Qualified clinical officer.
- At least 2 years post-graduate clinical experience.
- Experience working in the region – MSF experience desired / an asset
- Experience in the field of occupational health is desirable.
- Fluency in English.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 12 month Fixed-term contract, with possibility of renewal
- Full-time position
- Based in Nairobi, MSF EA office
- Ideal start date: ASAP
- Annual Salary of KES 2,974,271 & benefits according to MSF EAS rewards policy.
- Expected start date: Jan 3rd, 2022
How to apply
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae, motivation letter by 23rd November 2021, through the weblink provided below.
Please note that MSF will only contact short-listed candidates.
MSF is committed to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization where all individuals (regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, etc.) feel welcomed, respected, supported, and valued and where all individuals have equal opportunities to develop and grow professionally and personally)