Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT), a not-for-profit organization established in Kenya in 2009 by the Swiss-based Biovision Foundation for Ecological Development, is situated on the main campus of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Kasarani, Nairobi. The Trust’s goal is to alleviate poverty and improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Kenya and other African countries, through dissemination of information and knowledge on appropriate technology, to improve human, animal, plant, and environmental health. Through the Biovision Farmer Communication Programme (FCP), BvAT has farmer resource centres established in 11 counties in Kenya. The farmer resource centres implemented under the Farmer Communication Outreach Project are the outreach springboards, from where farmers are reached directly and trained on ecological sustainable agriculture (ESA). BvAT also oversees implementation of the Ecological Organic Agriculture Initiative (EOA-I), and Knowledge Centre on Organic Agriculture (KCOA) as continental and regional initiatives respectively.
BvAT is seeking to recruit qualified persons for the following vacant positions:
FARMER FIELD ASSISTANTS (FFA) – 2 POSITIONS IN BUNGOMA AND BUSIA COUNTIES
Job Purpose & Scope:
Contribute to the promotion and adoption of sustainable agricultural practices and technologies through participatory, market-oriented approaches to meet the needs of smallholder farmers while staying relevant to the context of the project.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for keeping an updated database of 200 farmers (currently submitted monthly via Kobo Toolbox) to be reached through FCP activities.
- With particular focus to registered farmers in the database, conduct farmer training activities on ecological sustainable agriculture in line with stipulated training guidelines.
- Promote use of organic and ecologically sustainable farming methodologies through establishment of demonstration plots in selected farms.
- Participate in farmer field days and agricultural shows and promote BvAT’s knowledge products.
- Carry out school trainings and participate in school events to promote knowledge and skills among the students on ecological sustainable agriculture technologies for school going children.
- Train farmer groups on sound organizational management and leadership and harness the social capital for promotion of ESA practices among the members.
- Identify market opportunities for farmers produce and facilitate beneficial linkages with the transporters, processors and traders.
- Conduct regular farmer visits and follow-ups to deepen skills and knowledge acquired from other training activities.
- Using FCP participatory methods and tools, lead farmer groups in participatory needs identification and analysis leading to development of farmer action plans
- Facilitate linkages with organic sector value chain actors with a focus to support improved access to markets by the target farmers.
- Promote the use of FCP information and communication pathways (TOF magazine, TOF radio and Infonet) to increase awareness and knowledge on benefits of organic farming and environmental conservation.
- Proactively engage and coordinate with relevant County governments departments, NGOs and other institutions in your region of operation and foster mutual beneficial partnerships.
- Respond in a timely manner to queries raised by farmers through visits to the resource centres and BvAT’s Tusemezane platform.
- Complete in a timely manner staff appraisal with the Farmer Field Officer in line with BvAT’s Appraisal system.
- Participate in monthly resource centre project review meetings and submit your monthly activity plans and reports using the provided templates (currently provided under the Kobo Toolbox).
- Perform other related duties as may be required and assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Education Qualification and Work Experience
Diploma from a reputable institution in organic agriculture, agricultural extension, rural development, crop production, livestock development, community development or any other closely related discipline in any agriculture related field.
- At least 3 years in a similar position
Specialized Knowledge and skills required
- Communication Skills (verbal and written)
- Facilitation skills
- Report writing skills
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Data collection and entry
- Computer skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
How to apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above positions and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements, please submit your detailed CV and application letter indicating summary of your key qualifications and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 24th November 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.