Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Reference Number: DBA121121
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Computing and Information Technology
Job Grade: 6.01
This role is responsible for development of databases in the environment in accordance to the set standards to meet business objectives. Work includes a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts. Investigates, defines and resolves complex issues.
Software Development Manager
- Administer database management system support activities for operational database systems.
- Gather requirements, design build, and implement study databases and data collection tools
- Evaluate potential solutions, demonstrate, install and commission selected products.
- Translate object and data models into appropriate database schemas within design constraints.
- Integrate data across applications and DBMSs.
- Set data constraints and perform data cleanup to ensure data quality;
- Facilitate database development and implementation processes;
- Liaise with developers on development project requirements and implement physical database structures;
- Develop basic knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles;
- Assesses proposed changes to objects and data structures and implement changes in physical databases;
- Interpret installation standards to meet project needs and produces database components as required;
- Ensure data security by controlling data access through user authentication and connecting applications;
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans;
- Capacity planning by projecting resource utilization;
- Monitor performance and manage parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users;
- Conduct database backup, storage and archiving; and
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
- Improve and document the technical processes around application support (using Confluence)
- Bachelor’s degree computer science or in related specialization of study
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in database management in environments with Opensource SQL database (MySQL/Maria DB, PostgreSQL). 1 year supervisory experience is an added advantage.
- Experience in with different database environments and integrating them with web and mobile applications
- Familiarity with architecture styles/APIs (REST, RPC)
- Experience in maintaining and debugging live software applications and databases
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies.
- At least one DBA certification e.g., OCA, MYSQL, MCSA
- Experience in Electronic Data Collection systems such e.g., Redcap, Open Clinica
- Experience in working in a research institution
- Experience with Azure
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to provide adhoc support to different database environments
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both in writing and oral
- Logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to learn new programming languages quickly.
- Ability to write, edit, and debug computer programs to achieve desired output.
- Strong understanding of the software development cycle.
- Good presentation skills;
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 26 November, 2021.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).