Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit Pan-African organization headquartered in Nairobi, with a hosting agreement with the government of Kenya. The AAS’s vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science. It is the only continental Academy in Africa enjoying the support and recognition of the African Union, and with joint programmes with NEPAD Agency, now the African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD), as well as several governments and major international partners. It has a tripartite mandate: to recognize excellence through its highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes; to provide advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies; and to implement key STI programmes aimed at addressing Africa’s developmental challenges
The Officer- Fellows and Affiliates shall provide operational support to the AAS Excellence unit including AAS Fellows, Affiliates, Lindau Meetings, and Obasanjo Prize. He/she will ensure that the recruitment process of Fellows, Affiliates and other beneficiaries under this Unit is undertaken in an efficient, transparent and credible manner so as to select the most deserving scientists; recognise and celebrate their achievements and give them opportunities to benefit from capacity building programmes that will enable them to promote development in Africa in line with the Excellence mandate of AAS.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruitment of AAS Fellows and AAS Affiliates
- Facilitate and manage the recruitment processes for AAS Fellowships and of AAS Affiliates to ensure that each one is carried out in line with the required guidelines and procedures and within their respective annual timelines
- Continually propose and implement changes to improve the Fellowship nomination and Affiliates application processes. Such changes shall include, but not limited to, online application processes and governance procedures
- Facilitate and manage review processes for AAS Fellows and Affiliates recruitment including setting up of review committees and providing administrative and technical support to the review committees
- Provide status reports on the recruitment of AAS Fellows and Affiliates to line Manager for information, guidance, remedial action and for presentation to the AAS Governance and Nominations sub-Committee (GNC) and Governing Council (GC) of AAS
- Post-nomination and post-selection of AAS Fellows and Affiliates respectively, manage all administrative duties relating to their appointment letters, certificates, induction, membership fees, and engagement with AAS.
- Work with other Programme and Grant Officers to continually improve the recruitment and application management processes in line with the AAS vision
- Engagement with AAS Fellows and Affiliates
- Act as the point of contact for Fellows and Affiliates as well as prospective members, handling enquiries and providing assistance in a timely manner ensuring an excellent membership experience
- Connect Fellows and Affiliates who would like to collaborate amongst themselves, with AAS Programmes, partners and other stakeholders.
- Act as the point of contact for information on suitable experts from the Fellows’ and Affiliates’ databases for various AAS programmes, departments, partners, and other stakeholders
- In liaison with the Finance Department, ensure timely and accurate requisition, recording and reporting of Fellows’ membership and subscription fees.
- Support Fellows and Affiliates participation in various activities organized by AAS and partners
- Provide information to Fellows and Affiliates on the various scientific Committees and Working Groups respectively and facilitate their membership to each.
- Offer administrative support to Chairs of Fellows’ Committees as need arises.
- Support Vice-Presidents and Regional Offices in their regional engagement activities.
- Database and Information Management
- Develop and maintain databases of AAS Fellows and Affiliates ensuring that they are continually updated, comprehensive and easily accessible. Such will include their contact information, biographies, engagement in Review committees, scientific committees, AAS representation, etc.
- Produce detailed reports on statistics of members for AAS programmes/departments, partners and other stakeholders as needed
- Liaise with Communications and the IT departments to ensure that Fellows and Affiliates information on the website, portals and mailing lists is accurate and ensure regular communication of significant milestones of Fellows and Affiliates such as their appointments, awards, promotions, etc. through the AAS website, newsletter, annual reports.
- Track participation, responsiveness and various feedback from Fellows and Affiliates and, based on the observed trends, advise on ways of improving their engagement.
- Provide administrative support to the Fellows and Affiliates Portal
- Collate information on Fellows and Affiliates from external sources to enrich their biographies
- Maintain and share a calendar of activities of AAS Fellows and Affiliates.
- Other AAS Excellence Responsibilities
The AAS-Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Travel Grants
Facilitate and manage the nomination processes of candidates for the annual AAS-Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Travel Grants
In collaboration with the Procurement and Events offices, organise the travel of AAS nominees to the Lindau Nobel Laureate meetings
The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize
Facilitate and manage the nomination processes of candidates for the AAS-Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific Discovery and Technological Innovation
The AAS Mentorship Scheme
Provide technical support to the AAS Mentorship Scheme
Person Specifications Academic Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or Business Administration from a recognized institution
A professional qualification in research related area or programme management is desired
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in programme or grants management including preparing budgets
- Proven working experience in undertaking research for background material and information and in generating and analyzing reports.
Skills and Attributes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Outlook, Database
- Possess well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills across age groups, organizational levels, and partners
- Able to perform work independently with minimal supervision, but also work in a team
- Possess strong attention to detail and maintaining a timely and efficient work flow
- Have strong analytical skills and excellent organizational skills
- Able to prioritize, work under pressure, and multi-task
- Have unquestionable integrity, confidentiality and respect.
All applicants must submit a filled application form from the AAS website, curriculum vitae/resume, and a cover letter submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position and vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 10th December 2021 on or before noon. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.