Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Reporting to : Cluster Manager
Grade Level : 12
Purpose of Position
Provide technical support and guide the successful implementation of child protection (FGM and child marriage) interventions in the WVUS-funded “The Kenya Big Dream” project being implemented in Samburu County contributing to empowerment of Households to protect, nurture and support girls and boys from all forms of abuse and to improve children wellbeing outcomes
The Project Officer will ensure the effective and efficient community mobilization, implementation, monitoring and reporting of interventions directly related to awareness on the negative effects of child marriage and FGM, adoption of social norms that prohibit FGM and Child Marriage, integration of Alternative Rites of Passage that is communally accepted and owned, strengthening of local Anti-FGM movements among women, men, girls, boys and youth as well as circumcisers, empowerment of communities to create safe and protective environment for children to thrive and strengthening formal systems for child protection, both National and County level.
Effective Project Design, Planning and Implementation (35%)
- Facilitate adoption of best practice/approaches/models in the course of the implementation of the child protection and gender integration in The Kenya BIG DREAM project
- Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to child protection initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation and monitoring
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for the Kenya BIG DREAM project
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to child protection component of the project.
- Collaborate with relevant ward and County government ministries and partners at the Ward/County and community levels to ensure integration and high level implementation of all child protection activities.
- Support establishment of well-coordinated child protection/Anti FGM collaborative network among key government and nongovernmental institutions
- Ensure quality implementation of child protection interventions in close consultation with the Project Manager.
- Contextualize/adopt design guidelines and ensure utilization at Project/ADP level.
- Ensure compliance to Design, Monitoring & Evaluation(DME) as well as donor guidelines and standards
- In liaison with programs identify local needs and resources and take appropriate programming measures
- Lead in the development of quality project Annual Work Plans, budgets and Detailed Implementation Plan.
- Ensure timely mobilization and effective communication with communities and supervisors during the implementation
- Ensure timely submission of reports and other relevant DME products
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project specific operational researches, including baseline and end line evaluation related to child protection outcomes.
- Work closely with the Project manager and other program staff in identification of existing gaps in child protection, women and girls empowerment
- Ensure adoption of best practice/approaches/models in the course of the implementation of the project
- Work closely with relevant authorities to ensure all child protection interventions deployed in the communities are in alignment with Child Protection Standards.
- Work together with other staff to ensure that key trainings meet the standards required to facilitate, provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired child pro behaviour and practices.
- Participate in the review of DIP/budget and other key implementation tools and initiate innovative approaches that will open new frontiers for child protection in the area of operation.
- Ensure maximum participation of the community, children and partners in planning, implementation and monitoring.
Quality Assurance – Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation (25%)
- Support M&E role of child protection activities in coordination the DME officer.
- Routine data collection on the project specific output indicators.
- Provide technical support and timely feedback to the Program Manager on Child Protection interventions outlined in the Kenya BIG DREAM project proposal.
- Build capacity of project resource persons and stakeholders (CBOs, community groups, children and youth clubs) on Child protection, women and girls empowerment.
- Identify other opportunities in an ongoing manner that will add value to the overarching goal of the Program.
- Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports related to key indicators; including documentation of key lessons learnt and successes stories
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of publications for learning.
- Support supply chain by offering all the technical advice on Child Protection and Child Friendly procurements related to the project.
Enhanced Empowerment & Capacity building (20%)
- Mobilize and sensitize community for empowerment & program sustainability
- Build capacity of communities and partners on models that facilitates adoption of child protection systems.
- Take a lead in building capacity of teachers and child to strengthen prevention and response mechanisms at school level
- Together with partners, conduct Anti FGM and Child Marriage campaigns and open days during the celebration of international days.
- Mobilise, equip and empower the Church, other faith groups and Community based organization to integrate child protection interventions
Advocacy, Engagement, Networks & Partnerships (10%)
- Gather and provide quality feedback and data to be used to develop technical papers and recommendations on key issues for external engagement with decision makers in respective counties
- Establish and sustain working relationships with Government Departments and Agencies relevant to the Kenya BIG DREAM project focus area at the Ward, Sub County and County levels
- Ensure that Project beneficiaries and partners are kept informed of all the Government laws and policies in respect to the Technical aspects being implemented and any changes to government laws, policies and budgets
- Work with partners and coalitions to engage in advocacy activities with the government structures at the Ward/County level, to address the needs of local communities and inform national level advocacy initiatives
- Ensure effective mobilisation of community groups, youth and children, empowering them to hold their governments to accountable through utilization of advocacy approaches such as Citizen Voice and Action (CVA) and Child Protection Advocacy (CPA)
- Support community groups, youth and children to engage constructively at all levels with duty bearers and service providers to improve access to, and quality of, essential services
- Ensure representation of WV Kenya in key Child protection stakeholder forum/meetings at the Ward, Sub-County and County levels.
- Actively participate and contribute to County level technical working groups to learn, share and inform policies/strategies relevant to Child Protection
- Provide support to community led processes of monitoring public service delivery.
Resources Acquisition (5%)
- Participate in development of timely and accurate funding proposals in line with donor requirements and WVK standards in collaboration with Project Manager, other sector specialists
- Mobilize the community for community contribution for project interventions
- Support development of technically sound funding concepts/proposals through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with Project Manager and other sector specialists.
- Support successful donor visits.
- Ensuring organizational visibility within the area of operation and beyond
Participate in Trans teams and support other initiatives by partners in the spirit of integration
Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences such as Social Work, Gender Studies, Development Studies, Community Development, Sociology or their equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years working experience in GBV/FGM projects at community level with proven leadership experience
- Experience in working with partners including State Department of Gender affairs, Ant FGM Board, Children Department, local organization (CBO, FBO)
- A good understanding of International, Regional and National framework on human rights for women and children such as Convections on the Rights of the Child, Convention for the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women, Africa Charter on the Rights and Welfare of Children, Prohibition of female Genital Mutilation Act, Children Act among others.
- Good understanding of State Department of Gender affairs, Ant FGM Board, Children Department, Child Protection, GBV/FGM programming models, standards and guidelines, Child protection Information Management guidelines and Systems
- Proven track record as a staff and community trainer and capacity builder in Child Protection, GESI, Prevention and Response to Child Abuse/SGBV and other harmful cultural practices.
- Good understanding and working experience of Advocacy Approaches and referral systems.
- Facilitation and training skills capable of building staff and community capacity in child protection as well as a team player.
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity and ability to incarnate in the community
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural and inter-faith contexts.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office or another main email system such as Microsoft Outlook
How To Apply