Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
M-Pesa Africa: Legal Counsel – (21000626)
We are pleased to announce the subject career opportunity within M-Pesa Africa reporting to the MD – Mpesa Africa / Finance Director- Mpesa Africa with a dotted line reporting to HOD Legal & Secretarial Services – Safaricom.
- To act as Business Partner to the Mpesa Africa Group and be the key legal interface into the Mpesa Markets where required and other key stakeholders across the group
- To provide skilled and specialized professional legal services, with an emphasis on contractual drafting, negotiation and review, legal research, legislative watch, and regulatory support on an ongoing basis.
- To provide specified departments/units within the Mpesa Africa and across the Mpesa markets where required skilled and specialized professional legal services.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Negotiating & gaining the buy-in of NEW customer contract including but not limited to agent, merchant, utility, Business-to-Business, Business-to-Customer, and International money transfer (IMT) contracts and any new functionality as may be added from time to time.
- Ensuring suitability & updating existing customer contract templates e.g. consumer T&Cs, Agent agreements, B2C and C2B contracts, etc. in line with changing or evolving features and functionalities of the M-PESA Service.
- Design and implement in conjunction with Risk Management, clear pre-contractual vetting processes for potential M-PESA Africa partnerships.
- Implementation of changing Risk Control measures recommended for the M-PESA Africa Business, through enforcement of contracts. This is to be done in conjunction with the Risk Management Division.
- Where required liaise with Vodafone & Vodacom Group dedicated legal resource on delivery of joint targets in relation to the legal relationship between Safaricom and Vodafone on M-PESA related matters e.g. Trademark matters, M-PESA managed service agreements, IMT (international money transfer) agreements.
- Participate and actively contribute to stakeholder review sessions on legislative issues materially affecting Financial Services, such Anti- Money Laundering, Electronic Financial Services, and Communications etc.
- Regulatory engagement: liaise with relevant regulators to ensure Safaricom remains responsive to regulatory concerns; ensure Safaricom earns/maintains the trust of financial service regulators; participate in the policy formulation and regulatory drafting process;
- Ensure timely submission of monthly and ad hoc reports as may be requested.
- Dispute management for litigation matters that arise from M-PESA contracts.
- All reporting related to the role
- Assist in negotiating renewal terms for facilities obtained from our lenders;
- Liaise with Finance to resolve issues as they arise;
- Provide general legal advice to Finance on a case-by-case basis.
Apply if you have:
- Degree in Law from a reputable commonwealth university with minimum 2nd class honors (or equivalent) and completion of Diploma of the Kenya School of Law;
- An advocate of the high court of Kenya of at least 5 years standing;
- Other post-graduate diplomas or certificate courses suitable for the role in legal matters such as arbitration/mediation & negotiation skills, AML, IP, Legislative Processes/Drafting, etc.
- 3 years practical/demonstrable experience in commercial law, company law, and financial services law.
- Excellent working knowledge of telecommunications and IT legal and regulatory environment, e-commerce/m-commerce.
- Good knowledge of civil and criminal procedure codes
We are happy if you have:
- Experience in engaging regulatory bodies
- Experience of working within a multi-national team and serving customers from multiple countries would be of benefit.
- Experience of working in an agile environment will be beneficial
What you can expect from us:
- We believe in a fair and robust interview process
- We have a robust flexible total reward scheme
- Dedicated support and mentoring/coaching
- Opportunity to develop and progress – plus a solid dedication to work-life integration. It all means you’ll have everything you need to advance your career and achieve your full potential.
Note to Applicants
As part of our recruitment process, we will request the below documentation which will be required as soft copies at a later stage of the process.
- An updated CV with a confirmation of three referees- 2 must be professional and must have supervised you at some point, the other referee can be a colleague in the same professional field. If the referees are within the same organization that you are working with, you will need to confirm to us that it’s okay to contact them in writing (via email). This also includes all references within the Human Resources department.
- Scanned copy of certificate of good conduct from the CID (Less than 1 year old) – Applicable to Kenyans Only
- Scanned copy of certificate from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) – Applicable to Kenyans Only
- Scanned copy of University Certificate
- Scanned copy of your National ID / Passport-Legal Form of Identification
How to Apply
If you feel that you are up to the challenge and possess the necessary qualification and experience, kindly proceed to update your candidate profile on the recruitment portal and then Click on the apply button. Remember to attach your updated resume.
Persons with Disabilities (PwD) and Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.