Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern and Central Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, and Uganda.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Finance Officer and overall supervision of the Head of Finance & Administration.
The Job holders are expected to support the collation, maintenance, analysis, and reporting of information to maximize the effectiveness of financial services.
To support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, reporting on key data, and providing basic administrative and human resource functions that enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an internationally recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
Minimum two or more years of relevant professional work experience in finance, accounting, and budgeting roles with additional supervisory experience
Fluency (level C) in the English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has performed basic financial analyses at a national and/or operational level.
- Has experience managing financial transactions.
What you will do:
- Provide finance oversight to RBN country offices in the region. Carry out planned finance oversight missions as per the unit work plan, preparations of draft mission reports, and follow up the implementation of the agreed recommendations.
- In the support role, carry out transaction reviews on postings to ascertain accuracy on recording and extend technical expertise as may be requested such as review of write-off memos and including supporting in the implementation of finance-based recommendations from either audit or oversight.
- Take lead in the preparation, review, and submissions of the RB budgets, carrying out the Tagetik input, review, and clearance process.
- Focal point for the review of country offices monthly reports and preparation and submission of the regional consolidated monthly financial reports to headquarters. Make follow up with Country offices on high-risk items from the reviewed monthly reports. Review the country office processes and internal controls and carrying out desk reviews on the efficient utilization of the cooperate resources allocated to country offices in the region in particular the portion of headquarters allotments budget to country offices.
- Focal point in ensuring a smooth interim and year-end closure activities viz; consolidation of Corporate Partners held commodity stocks at the end of the financial period, Cash-Based Transfer Losses, Accrued expenses, impairment allowance for doubtful receivables, reviewing and sharing of external auditors required files and similar requirements
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (CONTINUED)
- Coordinate with country offices the vendor master data review process and communicate timely with country offices on feedback from vendor master data office for issues requiring corrective actions.
- RB Focal point on follow up on the regular UNDP & VAT clearing accounts with the country offices, to ensure that country office focal point have necessary skills to ensure that relevant action is taken on time on this clearing accounts.
- Maintain awareness of corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
- Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management, and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
- Track and collate data to support others to improve policies, systems, and procedures in order to minimize financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
- Contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas that may present potential audit, compliance, or financial risks.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analyses and queries.
- Other as required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of Contract:
Fixed Term Contract
Nairobi Regional Bureau, Kenya
12 Months (Renewable)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
December 31, 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.