Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Directorate: Research, Advocacy and Policy
IS Office Location: Colombo , Dakar, Johannesburg, London, Mexico City, Nairobi, New York City, Washington DC
Type: Fixed Term Contract
How many months is contract?: 35 months
No of weekly working hours: 35
Any country/territory with an Amnesty International Secretariat office (as listed below) pending further discussion during the recruitment process based on both the applicant’s preference and Amnesty’s ability to host in each location:
- Americas (Mexico City, New York and Washington);
- Africa (Dakar, Nairobi and Johannesburg);
- Asia & Pacific (Colombo);
- Europe (London);
- Middle East & North Africa (Tunis)
Salary grade and benefits will vary country dependent
ABOUT THE ROLE
Amnesty Tech is looking for an entry-level team and programme coordinator to join the newly established Algorithmic Accountability Lab (AAL) and investigate human rights violations arising from the use of artificial intelligence.
The Algorithmic Accountability Lab has three primary objectives:
1) To increase transparency around the use of automated and algorithmic decision-making systems in the public sector;
2) Investigate and expose the human rights impacts of such systems and seek accountability for violations;
3) Campaign for effective regulation over the design and use of such systems to ensure the protection of human rights.
One of the Lab’s priorities is to challenge the underlying social, economic, and political drivers that enable powerful actors to misuse such technologies. The Lab will also seek to highlight the impact of these technologies on specific populations, such as racial, ethnic, and religious minorities, women, children, refugees, and those affected by poverty and inequality.
To address the lack of diversity and discrimination in the technology and human rights community we especially encourage applications from underrepresented racial groups, gender identities, disabled communities, sexual orientations and other marginalized identities. Even if you do not meet all our desired qualifications, we would like to hear from you – particularly if your background is underrepresented in the NGO or technology sectors.
As the Algorithmic Accountability Lab Coordinator, you will ensure that resources are used and accounted for effectively, AAL activities are well planned and reported on, and communication across AAL work is effective. You will assist in coordinating the planning, reporting and budgeting for the AAL, and provide administrative support to the Head of the AAL and other team members.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES (full detail in attached Job Description)
- Assist in the development and operation of the Algorithmic Accountability Lab (AAL), including by: arranging meetings; supporting project management; preparation and support of research/advocacy/campaign trips;
- Support the delivery of the AAL’s projects, which may include assisting the team with research, communication, campaigning, coordination and growth activities;
- Assist with the production and distribution of public and internal campaigning materials, reports and other documents, as delegated or originated by research, campaigns, communications or growth staff;
- Maintain a detailed understanding of Amnesty International’s financial procedures; deal with expense reports and process payments and invoices; assist with the preparation of project budgets and forecasts;
- Assist in drafting narrative donor reports for funding grants and developing an information management system or systems for tracking funding proposals and reporting requirements;
- Support and contribute to the AAL’s commitments to anti-racism, intersectionality, equity and inclusion across all activities and projects;
- Prepare draft contracts for consultancies, assist in tracking deadlines for consultants’ outputs, liaise with consultants as required to ensure that external partners are clear on their terms of work, and coordinate the work of consultants and volunteers;
- Coordinate and support AAL planning, reporting and reviews so that records are maintained and senior team members can report accurately on the performance of the Lab;
- Propose, organize and maintain filing and administrative systems for the AAL, maintain and update the AAL project site;
- Collaborate with the Amnesty Tech Programme Coordinator to ensure cohesion across all teams in the programme and standardize operational practices;
- Contribute to a positive and balanced working environment in which all team members collaborate and are empowered to share their views.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
This is an entry-level position and we do not expect candidates to fulfil all the criteria below. Even if you do not meet all our desired qualifications, we would like to hear from you – particularly if your background and/or identity is underrepresented in the NGO or technology sectors.
- Good attention to detail and experience in preparing and monitoring budgets and an ability to identify budget problems and solve them, including knowledge of finance systems used for processing of expenditure.
- Experience of working with restricted funds (preferred).
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated skills in managing administration of several complex activities at the same time.
- Excellent written communication skills in English with a proven ability to explain complex issues clearly for internal and external audiences.
- Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity, anti-racism and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies.
- Ability to engage with internal stakeholders and different levels of an organization.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office systems and coordinating an efficient flow of communications and information.
- Excellent ability to plan and prioritize work, including when under pressure, and adjust priorities to ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to collaborate well with others as well as to work independently and with initiative to facilitate workflow and the meeting of deadlines.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team, coordinating work with colleagues and providing when required, including to negotiate solutions and resources between programmes and project team members.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below.
Closing Date: 11 January 2022
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.