Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Global Safeguarding Manager
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Open to applicants from any of the Self Help Africa and United Purpose countries of operation.
Contract: Permanent, full time
Reports to: Compliance and Management Team
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. Headquartered in Ireland, with offices in the UK (London and Shrewsbury), the US and six African countries, SHA creates scalable and sustainable solutions to eradicating long-term poverty through knowledge transfer, investment, and market linkages.
In August 2021 United Purpose joined the Gorta Group of organisations (which also includes SHA, Partner Africa and TruTrade). With this the organisation doubled in size. To continue to deliver on our missions we must ensure that our compliance, safeguarding, accounting and delivery systems are world class. This is an interesting time to join SHA as the merger of two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations will be catalytic in nature as we look to tackle the global challenges of today and tomorrow as one unified organisation.
The Global Safeguarding Manager will lead and manage on all areas related to safeguarding within the Group to ensure the Group fulfils its obligations in relation to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults and supports the creation of a positive safeguarding culture where best practice is embedded throughout all of our work.
Policy Implementation and integration:
• Build on the safeguarding framework already in place
• Review and update the safeguarding policies and procedures, aligning policies of all Group members
• Develop an organisational safeguarding action plan and coordinate its implementation
Technical Advice and Support:
• Support the relevant Programme staff in successfully implementing and embedding organisational safeguarding measures and procedures in all projects and activities and ways of working
• Review project proposals and ensure safeguarding is adequately resourced and financed across programmes
• Support the Country Offices by attending the regular Country Safeguarding Committees, and monitoring progress on safeguarding action plans
• Review previous SG baseline audits and institute new baselines as required
• Support countries to prepare individual Safeguarding Risk Plans for new country programmes and follow up on progress reports received.
Organisation Knowledge and Learning:
• Develop and deliver safeguarding inductions
• Together with HR, systematically deliver /ensure the delivery of safeguarding training, refreshers, inductions and workshops to colleagues, associates and downstream partners
• Create and update safeguarding training tools, materials and guidance as required
• Monitor and review the Context and Resource Mapping Tool updates from each country
• Stay up to date with best-practice and be proactive in raising awareness and disseminating best practice to all stakeholders.
Reporting & Case Management:
• Support country office staff to ensure effective community complaints and whistleblowing mechanisms in the communities we work with and strengthen community level safeguarding processes.
• Support to countries on investigations facilitating links to services and support
• Support Compliance Manager with case management and assessing safeguarding concerns, taking a survivor centred approach
• Draft reports and updates on safeguarding incidents for submission to the relevant Charity Commission and/or donor
• Provide regular reports to senior management on the implementation of the safeguarding action plan, including progress on training, awareness raising, investigations; reporting of cases; etc.
• Support Compliance Manager with external reporting on safeguarding matters to donors and statutory authorities
• Keep the register of safeguarding incidents updated and ensure that supporting documentation relating to safeguarding incidents is maintained in line with Data Protection requirements
• Prepare quarterly reports summarising safeguarding incidents for the Safeguarding Oversight Group, UP and SHA Safeguarding Trustee lead and the Board
• Prepare the Annual Safeguarding Report for Trustees/Board members
Internal – Management Team; Programmes Dept.; Compliance Dept.; Board focal points
External – Charity Commission (UK & Ireland); BOND Safeguarding Group; Irish Aid SG Unit
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Third level degree or similar
• Proven experience in safeguarding role(s)
• Demonstrable understanding and in-depth knowledge of the global safeguarding agenda
• Experience of delivering effective safeguarding engagement and learning initiatives
• Ability to understand the challenges and safeguarding implications of working at country level on international development projects
• Working knowledge of ERP platform
• Experience of case management of safeguarding cases
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
• Strong planning and organisational skills
• Strong IT skills
• Commitment to the vision, mission and values of the Gorta Group
How to apply:
Full Job Description here.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and, therefore, this job posting will remain open until such time as the preferred candidate is identified.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer
All candidates offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ vetting.