Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in 100 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from disaster response to food and nutrition to education and work for women and girls to healthy mothers and children. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because when they have equal access to resources, they lift their families and communities out of poverty. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for 75 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and Fight with CARE.
Reporting to the workshop Foreman, the primary role of the Auto Mechanic is repair and servicing fleet booked at the workshop for both auto electric and mechanical tasks, diagnosing faults on the fleet and determining the extent of repairs required. Stripping, fitting and replacing components on fleet of various makes, types and models. S/He shall undertake inspections, repairs and routine preventative maintenance for the fleet in Dadaab region and ensure that all vehicles, plant and equipment meet or exceed set repair and maintenance standards. The emphasis on quality control and customer centered attitude will be the hallmarks of her/his day to day work. S/he will be required to comply with the Workshop Standard Operating Procedures, Internal Control Procedures and CARE’ Kenya’s vehicle operation & maintenance management policy
The role of the Auto Mechanic will be as follows:
Job Responsibility 1: Preventive and breakdown maintenance of motor vehicles and equipment – 35%
- Carry out the mechanical/electrical preventive maintenance and repair of vehicles, plant and equipment including but not limited to Isuzu trucks, 4×4 vehicles, tractors, backhoe loaders, and heavy vehicles of various makes, types and models.
- Prepare vehicles/equipment available for use by inspecting and testing vehicles; completing preventive maintenance such as, engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation and changes, wheel balancing, replacing filters.
- Service and maintain all mobile air Conditioning systems and other related accessories.
- Maintain vehicles in functional conditions by listening to operator complaints; conducting inspections; repairing engine failures; repairing transmissions, differentials, hydraulic pumps malfunctions; replacing parts and components and computerized vehicle gadgets, air brakes, electronic fuel injection (EFI) and mobile air conditioner systems.
- Maintain vehicle records by recording service and repairs while ensuring they are signed before handing over the documents to supervisor.
- Verify vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- To rescue breakdown vehicles in the field and provide defect reports on the root cause and actions taken into the breakdown.
- Request for spare parts and other necessary sundries/consumables; requisitions must be approved by the supervisor.
- Take responsibility of approved spares and work in progress for intended purpose.
- Get the repair of vehicles/equipment first time right away to avoid down time and repeat work.
- Account for all tools and equipment assigned to or on temporary request.
Job Responsibility 2: Safety precautions and quality control – 35%
- To consistently deliver high quality repairs in the required timeframes, which will ensure clients’ needs and requirements are met.
- To ensure that all electrical appliances are turned off in the evening before closing for the day.
- To complete all work orders and record all additional repairs and parts and ensure that a checklist has been performed.
- Ensure workshop safety rules and procedures are followed, including designating highly flammable substances and use of right tools and equipment.
- Complies with statutory regulations of vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Observe and implement NEMA environmental laws concerning the handling of hazardous materials routinely used in fleet service operations.
- Observe Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, and fleet policies and procedures pertaining to the safe performance of fleet service operations.
- To segregate used parts before disposal.
- Maintains vehicle/equipment appearance by cleaning and washing.
Job Responsibility 3: Mechanical and electrical diagnosis and interpretation of repair manuals – 30%
- Interpret instructions, technical manuals (manual/digital), illustrations, specifications, diagrams, schematics and other guides in conducting repairs and modifications.
- Keeps workshop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; performing preventive maintenance; inform supervisor of any pending repairs.
- Skilled usage of measuring instruments and test equipment such as engine analyzers, injector testers, ignition timers, lactometers, ammeters, ohmmeters etc.
- Ensure proper use of vehicle computer-controlled diagnostic machine on engine, fuel and ignition, ABS braking and transmission systems
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Automotive/Plant) and must have a Valid driving license with Class B, C, E
Experience/Technical Skills Required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Flexible, Respectful, Team player, Safety skills and Reporting writing skills
- Excellent diagnostic and good trouble shooting skills
- Problem solving
- Team player
- Coaching skills
Deadline to receive all applications will be on or before 12th January 2022, at 5.00 P.M EAT.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
CARE does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. CARE has a commitment to gender, equity and diversity in our workplace and operations. CARE respects and values diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, sexuality, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or politics. This is reflected in our recruitment decisions which are made entirely through a transparent, merit-based selection process. All CARE staffs are required to comply with the Code of Conduct, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Child Protection (CP) policies.