Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Vacancy: Programme Officer – Research and Policy
Job Ref: PO/RP/02
Open to: Kenyan Nationals
The overall role of the jobholder is to coordinate the implementation of PASGR research programme portfolios and outputs.
The post holder will need to be a motivated and experienced research and development professional with a commitment to contributing to research that addresses Africa’s development challenges, ready to oversee, or support and coordinate a wide range of programmes.
Within PASGR, the jobholder will be in regular contact with staff from other programmes and units namely professional development and training, higher education, finance and administration as well as the Executive Director’s office.
Externally, the jobholder will be in regular contact with PASGR partners namely, Government officials, development partners, resource persons, funders and service providers.
The jobholder will be line managed by the Head, Research and Policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The jobholders will be responsible for effective programme coordination of RP projects, ensuring effective delivery, assisting the programme head with all stages of project cycle management. This will require familiarisation with PASGR systems, rules and regulations. The post holder will, in liaison with the head of research and policy and other members of the research and policy team, work closely with our partners in: –
· project identification and design, including:
- facilitating the engagement of external resource persons, including drafting TOR’s (Terms of Reference)
- assisting with drafting of research concept notes and contributing to proposal writing to ensure that all submissions are competitive and complier with both PASGR requirements;
- ensuring electronic copy of all final documents is saved on to research programme share-drive.
· project start-up activities, including:
- facilitating engagement of resource persons;
- drafting of MOUs, contract agreements and/or arranging for the issuance of contracts and offer letters;
- drafting ToR for service providers and overseeing procurement processes.
· project implementation, including:
- monitoring and reviewing project and financial reports, undertaking spot checks;
- resolving problems (with possible visits to partners and projects) and drawing the attention of the Programme Head to significant issues requiring attention;
- drafting terms of reference for project reviews/evaluations;
- drafting documentation for project extensions/allocation increases;
- managing the processing of incoming invoices and monitoring of accountable grant expenditure;
- ensuring programme financial information is accurately recorded and monitored;
- monitoring resource persons’ performance and ensuring any contract amendments required are advised;
- manage budgets, ensuring annual and monthly forecasts are accurate
- technical support/leadership for research areas of interest including leading drafting of journal papers, working papers, policy briefs etc
· project completion tasks, including:
- drafting project completion reports, in liaison with field managers and consultants where appropriate;
· Developing and maintaining contacts with a wide range of funders, and implementing partners and representing PASGR RP in external meetings as advised;
· Helping the Head of research programme to improve the overall quality and delivery of research outputs;
· Input into PASGR corporate reporting and support monitoring of progress against team objectives;
· Make decisions quickly and effectively, taking into account evidence, options and risks
· Provide cover for the Head of research programme and other team members during absences and contribute to coherent team working.
Skills & Knowledge
Pre-requisite skills for this position include: excellent written and spoken English and IT skills, including excellent knowledge of Windows Word and Excel applications, and an ability to learn PASGR systems. The jobholder will be expected to demonstrate good financial management skills and experience and acuity with numbers. They will also be able to represent PASGR credibly and effectively with partner organisations and governments.
The ability to work well in diverse teams is essential, and it is a key requirement that the post holders demonstrate the will, interest and ability to contribute to high levels of morale in the office and to participate in organisation-wide activities.
- Master’s degree in the social sciences, development, governance or related fields. Candidates who are either completing PhD or those who have obtained a PhD within the past two years are encouraged. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years of post-qualification work experience in the field of social science including engagement with policy, practice and government constituencies
- Experience of managing projects, events and stakeholder engagement including budgets and budget tools
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills; evidence of publications in peer reviewed platforms will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with the development of concepts for research or other projects and with the search for and engagement of funding opportunities
- Evidence of willingness to work as part of a team
- Proven ability to multitask and work in a self-directed and self-driven proactive manner without supervision
- Proven ability to actively reach out to and forge strategic connections and partnerships with a spectrum of stakeholders
Continuing Professional Development
- Continuing professional development activities within the post-holder’s technical area to maintain technical skills and credibility;
- Undertake additional training as appropriate in skill areas required for successful performance in the research programme officer role;
How to apply
Complete the Application Form on the link (Please do not send a letter of application)
Send your CV and Completed Job Application Form to email@example.com before 7th January 2022