Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refuge and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
In Turkana West Sub-county, PWJ is actively engaged in promoting sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situations through its shelter and WASH projects in line with the National Government of Kenya as well as County Government of Turkana plans and strategy; clearly integrated in the Kalobeyei Integrated Socio-Economic Development Programme in 2018.
PWJ is UNHCR partner responsible for vehicle/generator maintenance and repair, workshop/garage management and fleet and fuel management for Kakuma operation.
The Heavy Vehicle Technician will be responsible for general preventive maintenance and repairs of all vehicles and other assets booked into the workshop. S/He will carry out all major repairs; diagnose faults, overhaul of engines, gearboxes, transmissions, differentials, and other mechanical components on heavy trucks and plant equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Maintenance, Servicing and Repairs of all vehicles and other assets
· Carry out auto-mechanical preventive maintenance and repair heavy vehicles, plant and equipment including 4×4 vehicles of various makes, types and models, heavy trucks (Isuzu, Iveco), and backhoe loaders.
· Carry out overhaul of engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulic pumps, repair electronic and computerized vehicle gadgets, air brakes.
· Retrieve/repair/rescue broken down vehicles in the field and provide defects reports.
· Inspects vehicles and generates spare parts list for requisition processing.
· Take responsibility of approved spares by ensuring proper parts are fitted, high quality of work is maintained for intended purpose.
· Consistently deliver high quality repairs in the required timeframes to minimize downtime and repeat jobs.
· Ensure workshop safety rules and procedures are followed including the use of right tools and equipment for the right job.
· Interpret instructions, technical manuals, illustrations, specifications, diagrams, schematics and other guides in conducting repairs and modifications.
· Ensure skilled usage of measuring instruments, SST and other test equipment.
· Carry out diagnosis of vehicles while consistently following the six-step diagnostic process.
· Will ensure working under safe conditions and to avoid risk causing injury to him and others as well as damage to tools and equipment.
· Develop skills and training for users of 4WD vehicles, safe driving, on and off road operations.
· Report on vehicle/Equipment job card, repairs carried out by indicating spares replaced and time taken to perform repair works for records.
· Ensure that lubricants and other liquid solutions are only the right quantity and quality.
· Ensure proper usage and responsibility of assigned workshop tools and equipment, proper safe keeping, clean tools & equipment and good workshop housekeeping practices daily.
· Distinguish uneven tire wear on vehicles and recommend need for suspension repair or wheel alignment.
· Perform and carry out other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
· General maintenance and repairs of all vehicles/Equipment and other assets.
· Carry out all major repairs; diagnose faults, overhaul engines, gearboxes, transmissions, differentials, and other mechanical components in line with manufacturer’s manual.
· Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Automotive option) & driving License class BCE.
· Relevant experience in motor vehicle repairs, generators, plant and equipment.
· Demonstrated multi-skilling in heavy vehicle mechanics & spare parts management.
· Computer literacy and data processing (Word, Excel, email and Internet).
· Demonstrated experience of at least 6 years in repair and maintenance of heavy vehicles and equipment, especially Isuzu and Iveco trucks of which 3 years must be in INGO.
· Good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated multi-skilling in mechanics, auto electrics/electronics, welding & fabrication.
Other knowledge, additional competences
· Good knowledge of English language and Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
· Sensitivity in handling and disposing of documents which may be important.
· Reliability, Honesty, Innovativeness and good organisational skills.
· Commitment to and understanding of PWJ Vision, Mission and Values.
GENERAL EMPLOYEES OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his/her specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Adhering to all PWJ’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Deliver project objectives within time, resource and budget constraints
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness.
- Prompt providing of all relevant information to his/her supervisor
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within not publicly available
- Representing and upholding the values of PWJ at all times
- Behave in appropriate manners at all times and in all places
• English: professional fluency
• Kiswahili: native/advanced
How to apply
Additional information of the posting
This position is based in Kakuma, Turkana County, Kenya.
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 21st January, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post. Due to the urgency to fill this position, shortlisting and interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about Peace Winds Japan, please visit https://peace-winds.org/en/