Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Team meetings usually happen between 9:00 and 15:00 GMT. Your usual working ours should have a decent overlap with this range (3+ hours).
About this role
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to build up and strengthen the core of our engineering team.
This role’s focal point is the backend development of software products with a global footprint and scale. We will expect you to make architectural and implementation decisions and co-lead the work and processes of the engineering team. Due to the size of our team, we would also have expectations for you to inform decisions and help address cross-cutting concerns such as information security or DevOps.
You will be in a position to partner with all the teams at Ushahidi, influence product development, and directly liaise with customers, activists, open-source developers, and users.
You will report directly to our CTO.
Ushahidi believes in setting up every one of our roles to shine within and outwards the organization. This role can become your platform to effect change in the world, connect with other caring humans, participate in exciting events and build the next step in your career.
Full job description available here: Senior Backend Developer at Ushahidi
- Mission-driven. You’re looking to use your skills to develop software that has a tangible social good. Social justice, open-source and international development are subjects that you would like to be directly involved with.
- Result-oriented, independent, and intrinsically motivated. Given the freedom to work anywhere at flexible times, you can find your way towards commonly agreed results and work autonomously.
- Open-minded and team-oriented. Our team is small, diverse, and tightly-knit. You are not afraid to ask questions and collaborate effectively in a remote environment. You understand how you’ll find more growth and success by extending collaboration beyond the circle of the engineering team. You demand and offer accountability with your colleagues.
- Empathic and effective communicating in your day-to-day work.
- You have experience developing with SQL databases (MySQL or other) and have a good idea of what may be slowing down a query or rendering a data interface layer inefficient.
- You have experience designing REST API interfaces or a notion of the design choices and trade-offs.
- Preferably, you have experience with modern PHP using Laravel or a similar stack with REST API implementations.
- You’ve got some background or are willing to dive into these cross-cutting topics:
- Data integrity assurance and auditing practices,
- Information security,
- DevOps, integration of development and release processes,
- Open-source development.
- Set up to work remotely: we’ll provide you with a laptop, but you’ll need a stable internet connection and an environment suitable to participate in video conferences.
What we offer
- Socially responsible mission. Build technology directly for societal good.
- Build a schedule that suits you. While we have meetings that everyone is expected to attend, there are no “business hours” at Ushahidi. We are a milestone-based company, not a sit-in-your-chair from 9 to 5 sort of organization.
- Generous vacation policy: minimum 25 days/year.
- Co-working space allowance of up to USD 250/month is available, or use of The Batcave: our office in Nairobi.
- A laptop that becomes your property after 18 months.
- Healthcare coverage.
- Employees are entitled to parental leave of ninety (90) calendar days with full pay.
Because we calculate our salaries with a standardized location-based formula, we will send the salary range based on your location when we invite you to interview.