Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya. We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements of Nairobi and Kisumu using end-to-end non-sewered sanitation solutions. Watch here!
- We implement a circular economy model to sustainably manage sanitation and organic waste generated in cities. Using technologies developed in-house, we upcycle the waste into insect-based protein for animal feed, organic fertilizer, and biomass fuel. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa. Watch here!
- We partner with cities to develop and deliver safe sanitation and waste management for urban residents. Using a systematic methodology, we match cities’ sanitation and waste management needs with technology and service delivery models, and then offer clear guidance on the steps that governments, funders, service providers and technology developers can take to develop and implement integrated service delivery systems.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy serves over 140,000 urban residents with safe sanitation services every day. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end-products to farmers in over 20 counties in Kenya, who see improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 400 employees from diverse backgrounds who solve diverse problems, but all embody the drive, creativity, teamwork, and passion that make us achieve our goals. For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals accelerator; by Fast Company as one of the 10 most innovative companies in the world doing social good and one of the 10 best companies in Africa, and the Food Planet Prize for our innovative circular economy approach.
Citywise, Sanergy’s advisory services team, leverages Sanergy’s experience delivering full value chain sanitation services to accelerate efforts toward citywide inclusive sanitation. We partner with others to design and implement integrated systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and dignified sanitation. We have a proven track record delivering sanitation services to the poorest, most vulnerable populations in rapidly developing cities, command of technologies and service delivery models for urban sanitation, and a strong network of collaborators around the world. We envision a future in which a city can easily access all it needs to successfully plan and implement sustainable, cost-effective and safely managed sanitation for all its residents.
About the role
We are looking for an ambitious strategist with skills in people and project management to manage and grow our portfolio of global sanitation advisory projects. The role will entail developing strategy and plans, developing proposals, building relationships with clients, and managing a portfolio of projects. Since our inception in 2018, we have intentionally maintained a broad interpretation of our objective of building capacity of and momentum for the sector through developing leaders, creating tools, and sharing best practices to increase the likelihood of success of cities’ adoption of citywide inclusive sanitation. We have taken on engagements with a variety of customer types, including governments, universities, private corporations, and international NGOs in this initial stage of market exploration. As we move into the next stage, the Manager – Citywise Advisory Services will develop the strategy for scaling the impact of Citywise. This leader will create a high-level strategy and 3-year strategic plan for growing our portfolio and optimizing the way we deliver our services – while maintaining our record of delivering exceptional results for our clients, in part through our “special sauce” as an advisor with an implementer’s mindset and experience.
About the role
Citywise is looking for a resourceful and ambitious Market-Based Sanitation Program Manager with experience in program management, market-based approaches to sanitation, and collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data to build out our work in the DRC. During Year 1 of the project, Citywise conducted an assessment of the sanitation landscape in Goma and Bukavu cities, and identified Bukavu as the most promising site for the piloting and scaling of a sanitation business model designed for the Kivus. You will collaborate with Sanergy colleagues based in Kenya (remotely) and the Mercy Corps team based in Goma to harness the expertise of each, while owning the challenge of ensuring the timely implementation of an ambitious Year 2 work plan. This role requires a self-starter who can work as part of a team and independently, and who is comfortable meeting with government officials, sanitation workers and households alike to pave a way forward for sanitation in Bukavu. You will work closely with and report to the Project Manager (based in the US) who will also actively support this project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategy for growth of Citywise’s project portfolio, including setting growth targets and identifying ideal projects and partners to meet organizational objectives
- Review and refine Citywise’s project pricing strategy
- Review and refine approach to staffing projects, balancing priorities of efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and internal capacity development
- Build pipeline of projects by monitoring formal opportunities and developing relationships with potential partners, and take lead on conceptualizing projects, in collaboration with Director
- Develop proposals, including budgets, and iterate with clients to finalize project scope
- Collaborate with Operations Manager to execute contracts that clearly document shared expectations
Project Management and Delivery
- Manage end-to-end implementation and delivery of advisory services
- Manage direct reports and external consultants to complete deliverables
- Manage all active and potential projects simultaneously to ensure on-time fulfillment of commitments
- Hold ultimate responsibility for exceptional quality of all deliverables
- Collaborate with Operations Manager to facilitate invoicing and payment
- >5 years of work experience, preferably in a project-based and client-facing industry
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or comparable experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Familiarity with challenges of urban development, and interest – if not experience – in safely managed sanitation
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, motivate and develop team members to deliver exceptional work and grow professionally – teams you lead consistently deliver on expectations, and teammates you manage take on increasing responsibility over time
- Recognized ability to prioritize and maintain a birds-eye view of multiple projects – you know how to create and maintain the tools/systems you need to ensure your team delivers on-time
- Commitment to excellence – you know what constitutes a phenomenal deliverable – from rigorous analysis, evidence-based conclusions and practical recommendations to consistent formatting and professional presentation – and you pride yourself on consistently delivering phenomenal work
- Relevant, contextualized, quantitative analysis – you have exceptional skills in structuring and conducting analyses to answer complicated, ambiguous questions and you have a track record of figuring out how to adapt and interpret within a real-world (often resource-constrained) context.
- Ability to work toward established big-picture goals with minimal supervision – you thrive when the end goal is established, but the route is undefined. When presented with a challenge and not given clear instructions on how to solve it, you confidently deliver a proposal that is sufficiently developed such that collaborators can understand the approach and expected result in order to give meaningful feedback
- Excitement to iterate collaboratively – you’re not discouraged when your sufficiently developed proposal is met with lots of feedback; you like to create a first draft to get peoples’ wheels turning and enjoy leading a group to a finished product by independently to incorporating feedback in between collaborative sessions
31st January 2022
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Do you have a question about how to apply for a job at Sanergy or our recruitment process? Explore our frequently asked questions here to find out
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS
SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION PERTAINING TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS AND ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.