Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Working under the supervision of the US-based Chief Financial Officer, the Regional Controller is responsible for directing the finance, accounting, and procurement functions of Water Mission in Africa and Asia. This includes overseeing the staff of these departments in Indonesia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, and potentially other nations into which the NGO expands. The person in this position should be prepared to travel to these countries semi-annually and to the US headquarters bi-annually.
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya, where the organization expects to have at least two other regional employees in 2022. The Regional Controller will initially work from home, but the organization may open an office in Nairobi by the end of 2023. If and when Water Mission opens the physical office, the Regional Controller will need the flexibility to work from the office at least two days per week. The ideal candidate will have the flexibility to commute into Nairobi daily as needed.
A successful Regional Controller will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve, and the public
- Support the standardization, implementation, and enforcement of accounting and procurement policies and procedures including internal controls and other initiatives set forth by headquarters
- Communicate at least weekly with accounting managers in-country programs, supporting, advising, and coaching as required to ensure success
- Provide oversight of accounting functions and perform thorough reviews of financial statements and completion of accounting procedures at least monthly to ensure quality control over accounting records and financial reporting
- Collaborate with country directors and regional directors and develop good working relationships
- Champion the use of the organization’s accounting and payroll systems
- Maintain high-level knowledge of the organization’s projects and activities
- Build relationships with institutional payors and assist with both budget proposals and adherence
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to effectively manage deposits and petty cash
- Support budgeting and forecasting activities and ensure that budget goals are met
- Ensure that accounting records are maintained in accordance with GAAP for consolidation into US financial statements
- Support audit-related activities and communications or initiatives with revenue authorities
- Other duties assigned
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Four-year university degree in accounting required; additional education preferred
- Credential of Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant, with the latter preferred
- Ten years of experience in accounting or finance, including an understanding of IFRS and GAAP standards
- Five years of experience with an NGO or assisting multiple NGOs
- Five years of experience budgeting and accounting for projects funded by UNICEF, UNHCR, or US AID and a familiarity with the reimbursement rules established by these entities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate ideas and feedback in a constructive way
- Advanced skills with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and SharePoint) and familiarity with financial and accounting information systems
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent relationship and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team