IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Our mission at Umba is to use machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets. Umba is live in Nigeria, expanding quickly into additional markets, offering a full suite of digital banking products to its customers through Android and iOS Apps. Our platform uses machine learning and big data to build credit scores to optimize risk exposures and allows users to apply, receive, and repay microloans and through their smartphones. Once a user creates an account, we validate their information and make lending decisions based on the information they give us and hundreds of data points we take from their smartphone with their permission. Our machine learning models are in a state of constant improvement, and we use AI and automation to deliver the lowest cost banking solutions for our growing customer base. We have built out a comprehensive data collection platform, with our data warehouse storing over 100m rows of data for accurate credit scoring.
About Umba Kenya
Umba Inc has recently acquired a majority stake in a Kenyan Microfinance Bank and is currently going through the Central Bank of Kenya approval process. Approval is expected imminently with work currently underway to transition the Bank to the Umba strategy. Operations (for the new strategy) are expected to commence in quarter one for the year 2022.
Job Description The General Manager role is responsible for providing oversight and leadership at both a strategic and operational level in the Bank by formulating and executing strategy in liaison with the Board. The General Manager is responsible for the overall performance of the Bank with respect to all business goals and objectives. S/He is also responsible for ensuring the Bank is fully compliant with all regulations, and is responsible for managing relationships with the Regulator and with all external business partners.
- Formulation and execution of overall Bank’s strategy in liaison with the Board of Directors to ensure the Bank’s mission, vision, and goals are achieved.
- Ensure critical reports and information are availed to the Board of Directors on a timely basis to ensure they have sufficient information for them to fulfill their responsibilities
- Spearhead business growth initiatives and ensure customer growth is achieved in line with the strategy in place and take responsibility for the Bank’s P&L and Balance Sheet.
- Perform business analysis periodically to stay aware of the industry and market changes
- Provide leadership to senior management and all staff through performance management, employee growth and development, talent management, attracting and retaining talent, and creating a high-performance work environment.
- Manage all stakeholders including Regulators, Suppliers, Customers, Staff, Investors, and Community to ensure that the Bank has optimal relations with all the stakeholders at all times.
- Work closely with the Chair of the Board, and the Chairpersons of all other Board Committees to ensure matters escalated to the Board get appropriate attention and also to ensure all Board decisions are implemented effectively.
- Set up Bank-wide KPIs in liaison with the Board and Senior Management to gauge the Bank’s performance.
- Break down the strategy so formulated to SMART performance goals, ensure resources are allocated, assess staff performance, and ensure overall desired bank performance is achieved.
- Ensure all risks inherent in the Bank’s activities, (Operational Risks, Credit Risks, Market Risks, regulatory risks, and liquidity risks) are assessed, mitigated, and monitored effectively.
- Responsible for (working with the Finance Manager) preparing and presenting the annual budget, forecast updates and any other planning exercises, to the Board for consideration and approval.
- Chair key management committees including but not limited to the Executive Committee (EXCO) and the Assets and Liabilities Committee (ALCO).
- Working closely with the Market Execution Team, to deliver the Transition Plan on time and to a very high standard.
Qualifications and Experience
- An honors first degree from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Banking, Finance, or any other Business-related field would be an added advantage.
- 5 years of experience in a similar role or in senior management in a bank
- S/He must demonstrate good knowledge of the Microfinance Act, CBK Prudential Guidelines, Risk Management guidelines, Proceeds of Crime and Anti Money-Laundering Act (POCAMLA), and banking best practice.
Work Status Valid work authorization for Kenya
How To Apply
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you have a disability or particular need that requires accommodation, please let us know.