Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req23883
Job Title: Senior WPE Officer
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
The Senior WPE Officer will be the focal point for IRC’s GBV program in Dadaab Refugee camp. With technical support from the WPE Coordinator and WPE Technical Unit, the Senior WPE Officer will be responsible for implementing the GBV program in Dadaab refugee camp in ensuring that the goals and objectives of the program are met.
She/he will provide technical and line management oversight to the field-based staff of WPE.
The position reports to the Senior Field Coordinator and the WPE coordinator in Dadaab and Nairobi respectively.
- Ensure that the profile of the program and staff are maintained at the appropriate level and WPE staffs’ performance is managed in line with IRC practices and policies. The position line manages six GBV officers in Dadaab Refugee camp
- Provide project leadership and ensure the implementation of the program meet standard operating procedures, child protection guidelines and GBV case management guiding principles.
- Provide ongoing leadership to the team and oversee implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met.
- Provide ongoing support to staff and partners through training and guidance to ensure programming meets GBV best practice and guiding principles that prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Oversee the expansion of adolescent girls and women’s empowerment programming including women’s center activities and work to achieve sustainable and community-owned management mechanisms for these.
- Leading ongoing GBV assessments to guide GBV programming in IRC Dadaab operations
- Lead in the implementation of IRC’s Dadaab GBV strategy to meet the needs of GBV survivors.
- Strengthen support mechanisms to ensure survivors can access services in a timely manner.
- Support the development of strategic partnerships with other implementing partners on GBV programming in Dadaab.
- Ensure adequate monitoring systems are in place which can be used to demonstrate project impacts and inform ongoing program design.
- Manage and oversee all GBV grants in line with IRC policies and practices; develop and maintain work, spending and procurement plans for multiple projects. Participate actively in all WPE Grant Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings.
- Ensure that all internal and donor reporting requirements are met and that reports are of a high quality and submitted on time.
- In coordination with WPE Coordinator, DDP, Grants Unit and HQ Technical Unit, play a leading role in the development of proposals and budgets
- Ensure that staff understands the donor proposals and lead implementation as per the donor requirements
- Lead the team in designing and overseeing implementation of staff training plans for national and refugee team members in collaboration
- Provide technical guidance on GBV trainings including basic counseling, CCSAS (clinical care of sexual assault survivors), GBV basics and key GBV resources for partners, community members, and service providers.
- Work closely with the health team managers (clinical services, Nutrition, Community health and HIV) to ensure that staff are well trained on GBV and support to survivors
- Mentor the GBV officers on improving their capabilities in report writing, data analysis and proposal writing
Coordination and Networking
- Work with partners, government, and other NGOs and UN agencies to establish appropriate systems to ensure survivors can access services in a timely and confidential manner.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders– including community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, and other IRC team members (especially HIV, and clinical services) to enhance multi-agency and multi sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Participate in Dadaab level coordination meetings to represent the program
- Ensure GBV response and prevention is incorporated into other sectors and humanitarian activities, through trainings, advocacy and other mentoring or support.
- Lead on the development of advocacy materials and campaigns at the camp, county and national level to ensure the needs of women and girls are addressed in Dadaab refugee camp.
- Coordinate review meetings with the GBV implementing partners on a regular basis
- Oversee sharing of technical expertise on GBV response and prevention and best practices
- Coordinate and organize regular GBV coordination meetings with the GBV working group and community leaders
- Recruit national staff in conjunction with Human Resources Department and maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, orient new staff to the IRC and the GBV program.
- Supervise GBV staff directly, as well as interns and consultants as needed.
- Ensure Performance Management System documentation is in place and followed up regularly.
- Ensure timely submission of payrolls, cash forecasts and purchase requests
- Oversee inventory/asset management
- Recommend and implement a capacity building plan for project staff.
- Ensure GBV staff understands and follows IRC and donor Policies and Procedures.
- Fulfill any other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Respect the code of conduct and policies of the IRC and the standards of the GBV team
- Adhere and uphold the IRC Way core values (integrity, accountability and service) at the respective areas of work.
Key Result Areas
The WPE Kenya program goal is to enhance survivor’s utilization of quality services responsive to their needs and strengthen community-based structures and solutions to better protect women and girls, promote their empowerment to access opportunities, services, and support.
The Senior WPE Officer will coordinate the team towards achieving the following program objectives:-
- To improve survivors’ access to timely, holistic and quality case management
- Strengthened engagement with communities to act in the best interests of women and girls
- Invest in social and economic opportunities for women and girls to promote their wellbeing
- Leverage partnerships and experience to advocate for priorities of women and girls
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, humanities or related degree
- 3 years program management experience, including at least 1 year in a humanitarian context with GBV focus
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good interpersonal and team building skills
- Community education/training experience desirable
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment
- Experience in proposal and report writing is preferred
- Fluency in English. Somali language preference
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.