Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req26989
Job Title: Clinical Officer Anaesthetist
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
The Clinical Officer Anaesthetist is overall responsible for providing anaesthetic management to all patients undergoing surgical procedures, both emergency and elective, at the IRC Hagadera Hospital.
- Formulate department objectives with the help of medical officer in charge of hospital.
- Ensure use of standard operating procedures, protocols and guidelines in management of patients is followed.
- Responsible for giving anaesthesia to all emergency and elective cases conducted in theatre, both minor and major surgeries
- Conduct peri-operative (pre and post) review of all patients within 24 hours
- Supervise theatre staffs and ensure smooth running of theatre activities and procedures in addition to allocating the support staffs duties
- Assist in management of very sick patients in the ward when called upon e.g. patients who need urgent resuscitation and intubation
- Be part of the emergency trauma team and called upon in case of an accident with mass causalities
- Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital hand over meetings
- Participate in weekly continuous medical education (CME) at the hospital
- Conduct on-job training of staff through both practical and theory sessions
- Do theatre coverage and on-call, ensuring 24 hour coverage
- Properly cover nights and weekends, arrange a rotation schedule with fellow clinical officer anaesthetist
- Perform routine clinical work as required by your supervisor
- Participate in camp health surveys/campaigns/surgical camps as required
- Keep complete and accurate inventory of medicines and supplies located at the theatre and monitor and supervise their usage
- Ensure all medication equipment , supplies required for anaesthesia are ordered in good time
- Ensure the anaesthetic machine and operating table are well maintained and report any fault, need for repair or maintenance in good time
- Provide health talks to patients/clients on day to day basis
Reporting and Coordination:
- Ensure proper documentation of all anaesthetic procedures, and condition of the patient including vital signs and medication given
- Submit weekly theatre reports to the HIS officer
- Compile and submit monthly theatre reports to the MO in charge of hospital on a timely basis
Other Special Duties other than provision of Anaesthesia:
- Attend to minor Surgical cases and procedures referred to theatre not attended to by the MO (Esophageal foreign body removal, Ear and nose foreign body removal, Circumcisions, Ganglions and Lipomas excisions)
Key result areas
- Ensure quality anaesthetic management for all patients undergoing surgical interventions
- Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are adhered to
- Registered Clinical Officer Anaesthetist with a Higher National Diploma(HND) in Anaesthesia and Surgery from KMTC or recognized Medical training institution
- Registered with the Clinical officers Council of Kenya
- At least 2 years experience as an Anaesthetists in a busy hospital setup
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good clinical and anaesthetic skills
- Proven leadership, communication, interpersonal, decision making skills
- Good team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Swahili)
- Computer literacy in the use of MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Ability to work and deliver results with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player
- Experience of working in hardship area is an added advantage
- Cultural sensitivity
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.