Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) seeks individuals of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Procurement Officer at the Regional Bureau, the consultant will have the unique opportunity to influence WFP’s work in the region and to ensure that, by working in innovative ways, WFP delivers real results for the millions of people in the region who face food insecurity.
WFP’s operations depend on the efficient and effective purchase and supply of a vast range of goods and services. One of the critical functions of the Procurement Unit in the Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa is to procure goods, services, and food commodities to support WFP operations in the region. The contracting of retailers and financial service providers also constitutes a major component of the procurement activities for operations where cash transfers are provided to empower beneficiaries with the choice to address their essential needs in local markets. Finally, as the second line of defence, the Regional Procurement Unit provides oversight and regular technical guidance on complex and high-value procurement cases.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Procurement Consultant will be responsible for leading on and providing technical advice and oversight to procurement field operations of moderate complexity, partnering with the key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries.
- Consolidate and analyse data from which to inform sourcing strategies for the operations or plan specialist procurement initiatives that support effective and cost optimizing purchase decisions.
- Provide oversight, guidance and support to Country Offices on implementing best practice procurement policies and procedures, ensuring a strategic, forward purchasing approach to procurement in compliance with wider WFP policies, standards and regulations.
- Lead the implementation of procurement projects of moderate to high complexity (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), to ensure successful procurement of food and non-food commodities or services.
- Collate information and draft appropriate responses to recommendations to support auditing of procurement activities and ensure conformity with compliance rules.
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with all relevant suppliers and vendors to enable WFP to maximize the value of the service delivered.
- Work in close collaboration with cross functional counterparts (Programme, Logistics, Finance, etc.) to align procurement activities.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely reports of procurement activities to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
- Manage individual procurement officers or small procurement teams ensuring appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Build capacity of WFP staff and external partners to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of CBT services e.g., through provision of training sessions.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of procurement specific risks.
- Undertake field missions to support the CBT procurement activities in the region on a need basis.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Engineering, Legal or Accounting or other relevant field, or First University degree with an additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- Minimum of at least five years of relevant professional experience in NFI Procurement, Supply Chain Cash-Based Transfers. Previous exposure to non-profit and private sector would be an advantage. .
Good understanding of WFP operations and strategic objectives related to the position.
Good writing skills and ability to summarize the key messages clearly. Ability to deliver trainings.
- Experience coordinating or leading a procurement teams.
- Experience in engaging in policy and strategy discussions and providing input into these.
- Ability to analyse and identify opportunities for and propose solutions to quality improvement.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Fluency in oral and written English .
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of Contract:
Short Term Contract
Nairobi Regional Bureau, Kenya
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
May 13, 2022
Kindly note that, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.