Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
KMF/3. DIRECTOR, SOCIOECONOMICS RESEARCH (KMFRI GRADE 2) – POSITION– ONE (1)
- Basic Salary Scale: KShs. 289,417 – KShs. 367,560 P.M.
- House Allowance: KShs. 80,000 P.M.
- Commuter Allowance: KShs. 24,000 P.M.
- Other Remunerative: KShs. 40,000 P.M
- Annual Leave Allowance: KShs. 10,000 P.A.
- Medical Cover & Other Allowances: As provided by KMFRI
- Terms of Service: Five (5) years contract (Renewable once) subject to satisfactory performance
(a) Duties and Responsibilities
- Advising the Director General on matters of socioeconomic research and development;
- Advising management on all policies and strategies related to marine and fisheries socioeconomic research;
- Advising the Board of Management on research bodies and institutions of higher learning within and outside Kenya to collaborate or partner with for enhancing technology and knowledge transfer;
- Developing research policies, strategies and programmes related to the specific field;
- Overseeing the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of marine and fisheries socioeconomic research;
- Coordination of research conducted in KMFRI research centers and stations;
- Ensuring the presence of KMFRI in complex multi-disciplinary national and international research programmes;
- Enhancing the image and reputation of the institute in international fora;
- Reviewing and guiding scientific publications and research grant applications;
- Approving scientific manuscripts for publication;
- Oversee the identification of innovations and technologies for up-scaling;
- Establishing linkages with other research bodies and institutions of higher learning within and outside Kenya to enhance technology and knowledge transfer;
- Overseeing the dissemination of socioeconomic research findings to publics, institutions of higher learning and other research institutions locally and internationally to increase KMFRI’s visibility;
- Overseeing capacity building of stakeholders in marine and fisheries socioeconomic research and blue economy;
- Overseeing the promotion of outreach of marine and fisheries programmes through various channels;
- Overseeing the monitoring and evaluation of socioeconomic research activities;
- Mobilizing resources for socioeconomic research;
- Overseeing the monitoring and evaluation of socioeconomic research contracts;
- Overseeing the mentoring, management and training of scientists in the respective directorate;
- Deployment of technical staff in the respective directorate;
- Submitting the directorate quarterly and annual reports;
- Development of the directorate’s agenda for the Board of Management; and
- Prosecuting the agenda of the directorate in the relevant Board Committee Meeting.
(b) Requirements for Appointment/Person Specification
For appointment to this grade a candidate must have: –
- Minimum KCSE C+ (plus) or its equivalent;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in any of the following fields: Aquatic or Fisheries Sciences, Biological or Physical Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Environmental studies, Geology, Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, Biometrics, Biotechnology; or any other aquatic, fisheries or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in any of the following fields: Marine or Fisheries Sciences, Biological or Physical Sciences, Sociology, Economics, Biometrics, Environmental Studies; or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Doctorate Degree in in any of the relevant research disciplines applicable to the institute from a recognized institution;
- At least twelve (12) years’ relevant work experience in Research and Development, five (5) of which must be in management or an equivalent position in the private or public sector;
- Published at least 14 peer-reviewed publications in ISI – indexed journals / book chapters of which at least eight (8) are as first author from the latest date of promotion.
- Led the development of at least three large project proposal that have been funded;
- Leadership course lasting not less than four (4) weeks (cumulative) / Corporate Governance course from a recognized institution.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated outstanding professional, managerial, and leadership competencies as reflected in work performance and results as exhibited thorough the understanding of national goals, policies, and objectives.
- Ability to relate national goals, policies and objectives to marine and fisheries research and development function;
- Proficiency in computer applications; and
- Meets the requirements of Chapter 6 of the constitution of Kenya.
(c) Other Key Competencies and Skills
- Strong communication and reporting skills;
- Strong analytical and numerical skills;
- Strong organization and inter personal skill;
- Mentoring, coaching and leadership skills;
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Conflict management skills; and
- Strong managerial skills and ability to lead teams.
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the KMFRI Job Application Form, attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Submit their applications both in HARD and SOFT COPY, and envelopes containing the documents should clearly be marked with the position applied for and sent to the address below not later than Tuesday, 17th May, 2022.
The Director General,
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P. O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Silos Road, English Point, Mkomani,
1. SUCCESSFUL candidates will be expected to fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution by providing originals of the following documents:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
2. Only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES will be contacted and shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates during the interviews.
3. Any canvassing will lead to AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
KMFRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, PERSONS LIVING WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.