IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Programme Officer – Social Justice and Economic Accountability (SJEA) Programme
Programme: Social Justice and Economic Accountability Programme
Reports to: Programme Coordinator – SJEA, in his/her absence, The Programmes Manager
Supervision: SJEA Programme Assistant(s)
Duty Station: Nairobi Office, with regular visit to the field
Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a non-partisan global coalition of like-minded individuals and organizations against corruption with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
The job holder will be responsible for supporting implementation of the projects under the SJEA programme, with a particular focus on activities related to the “Promoting Domestic Resource Mobilisation in Sub-Saharan Africa” (DRM) and any other projects within SJEA Programme in line with the Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) strategic plans and priorities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide effective leadership to the staff within the Programme, including mentorship, coaching, team building, on-the-job training to enhance employee performance and other leadership interventions.
• Provide technical support on the overall implementation of the SJEA Programme interventions
• Designing programmes and interventions that enhance social justice and
accountability in resource distribution and management;
• Lead the development and review of the programme’s advocacy strategies including, but not limited to, TI-Kenya’s strategic interest in social justice and economic accountability nationally, regionally, and internationally;
• Ensure effective implementation of the TI-Kenya’s Strategic Plan by tracking and reviewing progress, reporting, and leading the development of implementation plans;
• Translate TI-Kenya research findings on social justice and economic accountability into reform initiatives and advocate for their adoption;
• Support the identification and recruitment of qualified service providers including procurement of assets/utilities and consultants for tasks specific to the programme. The tasks also include assisting in preparation of terms of reference, expressions of interest and contracts in accordance with TI-Kenya policies and procedures and facilitating of successful delivery of work by such service providers;
• Support the review and dissemination of the programme’s technical documents;
• Support coordination of programme activities including meetings, forums,
workshops, trainings and production of reports and minutes.
2. Programme Management & Reporting
• Work with Civil Society and Governance actors, including state actors to address social and economic injustices in Kenya;
• Research and share knowledge and understanding of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their specific targets;
• Undertake evidence-based advocacy on the extent, type, and impact of social and economic injustices on marginalized groups and how to tackle them;
• Undertake evidence-based advocacy to curb fiscal practices and incentive schemes that exacerbate social and economic inequalities;
• Reviewing the operations and results of the programme and providing reports showing achievements against planned targets as well as justification for performance variances;
• Develop and operationalize effective reporting mechanisms for the Social Justice and Economic Accountability Programme and ensure timely periodic, monthly and annual progress reports of the programme;
• Work with other programme team members to conduct timely and appropriate narrative and financial reporting with respect to all activities and grants in theprogramme.
3. Coordination, Networking and External Relationships
• Strengthen the capacity and influence CSOs and marginalized groups to participate and contribute to policy formulation that ensure achievement of social and economic justice;
• Establish and coordinate constructive and sustainable networks/partnerships with national, regional, and international institutions and actors working on social justice and economic accountability. These include government agencies, non-state actors, the private sector and donors among others to ensure collaborative strategies and effective support networks;
• Initiate and support the development of collaborative programme strategies in partnership with like-minded organizations;
• Initiate and support capacity building of partner institutions and coordination with regional and chapters of the TI movement on matters of social justice and economic accountability;.
• Support the development of learning materials and advocacy within TI-Kenya and the broader movement as relevant;
• Build capacity of relevant stakeholders and staff on salient issues of transparency, accountability, and integrity.
4. Good Practice and Institutional Learning
• Provide technical support towards achieving the overall objectives of the Programme;
• Contribute to a more equitable and inclusive society by addressing present and previous injustices, as well as ensuring equitable distribution of public resources and opportunities;
• Provide technical support towards contributing to greater social justice and economic accountability at all levels through advocacy and development/ promotion of supportive systems;
• Provide technical support on Illicit Financial Flows (IFFs) work and shadow
international financial systems including offshore financial Centres to effectively address illegal flow of capital and their effect on ability of countries to narrow the inequality gap;
• Work with countries towards promoting Domestic Resource Mobilisation in Sub- Saharan Africa and stemming illicit financial flows;
• Support the development of structured opportunities to facilitate internal and partner learning for decision-making and influencing best practice;
• Assist in project monitoring, reviews and evaluations and the development of good practice guidelines.
5. Resource Mobilisation & Budget Management
• Manage the Domestic Resource Mobilisation project budget and ensure maximum use of the available funds to achieve the project objectives;
• Identify and secure funding in accordance with the Social Justice and Economic Accountability Programme as well as institutional budget targets;
• Develop project proposals and progress reports based on established standards as required;
• Develop strategies for sustainable funding for the organization;
• Develop and track budgets, and monitor programme expenditure against budgets for SJEA Programme;
• Manage donor contracts;
• Carry out donor research and advocacy;
• Lead social enterprise and local resource mobilization efforts through generating additional resources from consultancies pertaining to the programme objectives, and mobilize resources from private sector and citizens;
• Support the coordination of the activities of the Resource Mobilisation Committee and other institutional fundraising efforts that may arise, in line with the Terms of
Reference set out for the Committee.
6. Public Communication and Social Media Advocacy
• Write well thought out publishable articles every two months for management’s consideration focusing on devolution and anti-corruption generally;
• Maintain an active presence on social media that is interfaced with TI-Kenya’s presence in line with the organisation’s social media policy and guidelines;
• In conjunction with the Communications department, initiate and participate in mainstream and social media engagements focusing on pertinent corruption issues in the technical area of Social Justice and Economic Accountability.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Law, Economics, Public Finance, Public Policy, Human Rights, International Relations, Social Sciences or related field from a recognised university;
• Minimum of 5 years work experience and at least 2-years’ relevant experience in capacity development, coalition building, policy, social, or other public interest field;
• Experience with access to justice and or gender programs and mainstreaming a plus;
• Must be well versed with the legal frameworks and social justice issues in Kenya and East Africa.
• A person of high integrity that will model TI-Kenya’s core values;
• A strong commitment to the aims, objectives, and values of TI-Kenya;
• Good communication, and presentation skills – verbal and written;
• Good interpersonal/relational skills;
• Good appreciation of advocacy and community engagement;
• Shown merit in work performance and results;
• Good report writing skills;
• Ability to multi-task, work within given deadlines/schedules and attention to detail;
• Good analytical and organizational skills;
• Knowledge of Kenya’s governance systems, institutions and their decision-making procedures;
• Good knowledge of TI-Kenya and the environment in which it operates;
• Demonstrated professional use of social media (Twitter, Facebook among others);
• Computer literacy (Understanding of data entry, basic computer skills and knowledge of databases;
• Ability to carry out Legal review and legislative drafting.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the questionnaire by clicking the link: https://forms.office.com/r/AAvFnn0qW0. Further instructions include submitting one properly labelled PDF document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least three professional referees) via email to email@example.com. Please include the reference Programme Officer-SJEA as the subject of your email applications. Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
Previous applicants need not reapply. Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
TI-Kenya holds strict safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy towards all forms of Sexual Exploitation, Harassment and Abuse (SEAH) in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. The organisation has strict policies which outline the expected behavior, code of conduct and responsibility of all persons acting on behalf of TI-Kenya, including policies to safeguard children and vulnerable adults. If selected, we will perform a background check on you and request that you submit a police certificate of good conduct.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on the ability to perform the required job duties. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Due to the high volume of applications, we receive, only shortlisted candidates who qualify to the next recruitment stage will be
Disclaimer: Please note that TI-Kenya does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process and we do not recruit through recruitment agents.