Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium
Background and Project summary
The Laikipia, Isiolo, Samburu Transforming the Environment through Nexus (LISTEN) is a project funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and implemented by a consortium of partners comprising Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC), Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) and SNV Netherlands Development Organisation with SNV as the lead agency. The 3.5-year project seeks to contribute to enhance resilience by increasing food, nutrition and water security in the three selected Arid and Semi‐Arid Lands (ASAL) counties of Laikipia, Isiolo and Samburu in Kenya. Each consortium partner brings their own specialization to the table and will combine their capacity to achieve four key outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Improved institutional capacities and programming frameworks for inclusive climate resilience at the county level.
- Outcome 2: Improved water and livelihood resource management at Landscape level in the Ewaso Nyiro River Basin Ecosystem.
- Outcome 3: Increased production and income through adoption of Good Agricultural Practice (GAP), good management and efficient water practices, technologies and innovations in selected crop and livestock value chains, including fodder and forage.
- Outcome 4: Use of Knowledge and Innovation management increased in ASALs.
Based in SNV’s Nanyuki field office in Laikipia county, the intern will support implementation of the LISTEN project activities by performing basic level technical and professional tasks associated with the preparation, capturing, storing and maintaining of data using database procedures and tools to ensure the Geographic Information System (GIS) provides comprehensive and complete information about the project.
The position comprises of the following key performance areas but not limited to:
Geographic Information System (GIS):
- Conducting spatial data availability and needs analysis.
- Inventory of mapping requirements and developing several standardised maps for the use under the LISTEN project.
- Supporting project partners in digitisation of data and spatial data.
- Assisting with the identification of appropriate software to ensure user-friendly and sustainable data use, exchange among project stakeholders.
- Supporting SNV Kenya in developing a standardised spatial data management procedure including standardised mapping applications and data presentation tools.
- Assisting in building the capacity of project staff, relevant partner and stakeholder staff in the collection and management of spatial data through GIS.
- Supporting the partners and stakeholders in analysis and presentation of spatial data through GIS.
Reporting and Communication:
- Creating user-friendly maps and data visualisation.
- Participating in project-level coordination meetings (Capacity Building Team meetings, Planning Team meetings, project team meetings) as relevant.
- Complying with Project documentation requirements.
- Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree or be pursuing an advanced university degree, such as a Masters, or be a recent graduate from such studies (within the last 3 years);
- Preferred area of study is one of the following: GIS, geomatics, geography, environmental science, sustainable development, transport, urban planning, engineering Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Studies or in any other relevant area is preferred.
- While no professional experience is required for an internship, experience in the field of GIS, geomatics, geography, environmental science, sustainable development, transport, urban planning, engineering or similar fields is considered an asset.
c) Key Competencies
- Fluent in English communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Time management;
- Attention to detail;
- Creativity and innovation.
- 6 months
Expected start date
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the AM INTERESTED tab and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 16 May 2022. Please submit your application letter and CV containing three referees.