Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action- helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and in the future. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
Mercy Corps has been present in Kenya since 2008 and has to date built a robust and diverse portfolio of programs working to enable Kenyans affected by poverty, resource scarcity and conflict – in particular the youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities – to be healthy, productive and to drive peace and development of their communities. To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen resilience, market and governance systems, and address the root causes of conflict. Mercy Corps Kenya also collaborates with neighboring countries to implement a number of multi-country and cross-border programs.
The Program / Department/Team
The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the operations functions. The overriding objective for the Operations Department is the prompt and effective provision of support services to Mercy Corps beneficiary populations in compliance with both Mercy Corps and Donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
The Position Summary
The Operations Assistant is responsible for facilitating programs operational support for Mercy Corps Kenya (MCK) Baragoi Field Sub-office. Working closely with Program teams and Field Office Operations team, the Operations Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services in matters procurement, logistics, and general field office administration.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Daily handling of MC procurement activities at field sub-office level in close consultation with the Field Operations Officer.
- Collect quotations and bids from the field market for PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Directly interact with field vendors during solicitation of quotations – explain MC procurement standard forms/procedures and ensure that vendors are compliant with the same.
- Prepare the required documentation of procurement transactions and ensure compliance with MC standards.
- Maintain thorough procurement files as outlined in the Field Procurement Policies and Procedures.
- Facilitate timely processing of due payments to vendors in collaboration with originators and finance department.
- Maintain an updated data base of field market prices of commonly procurement goods and services
- General management of agency vehicles in close consultation with Operations Officer.
- Ensure that all field vehicles are safe and road worthy.
- Collecting and distributing of vehicle log-sheets to drivers; responsible for monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets to the Operations Officer
- Schedule vehicles use and movement plans to meet programmatic and operational needs.
- Oversee fuel purchase and closely track consumption in coordination with gas station(s)
- Organize regular service schedules for vehicles and ensure repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring fleet safety measures are fully implemented and adhered to in accordance with MC fleet management policy/SOPs.
- Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed (if related to vehicles).
- Responsible for Warehouse/Stores management and reporting.
- Facilitate proper asset management; maintain proper and updated asset register in close collaboration with the Operations Officer.
- Responsible for sub-office premises general facility management including security and hygiene upkeep and maintenance.
- Facilitate procurement of general office supplies for running the sub-office office.
- Assist with scanning, copying, printing and uploading of financial documents on relevant folders.
- Assist Finance Officer with field cash reimbursements if any.
- Ensure all finance documents are properly labelled, filed and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following Field Finance Manual
- Coordinate general office management tasks at sub-office level.
Drivers, Cleaners, Guards
Reports Directly To: Head of Sub-office with a dotted management line to the Operations Officer
Works Directly With: The Sub-office Program team and Field Office Operations team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- At least 2 years of experience in logistics and/or supply chain management.
- Must demonstrate understanding of logistics procurement and administration ethics and good management skills with diverse team with large flow of information and activities.
- Must be able to work independently and prioritize, show initiative experience in an NGO setting.
- Good report writing skills and ability to make recommendations for improvements; strong computer (MS Office) skills, filling and organizational skills.
- Valid driving license; willingness to travel throughout field office when required.
A successful Operations Assistant will have the ability to maintain high integrity in performing assigned responsibilities and act as the intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure smooth process flow. S/he will have the ability to work with diverse teams, think on his/her feet and solve problems while maintaining a balance between program implementation and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Baragoi, Samburu County and it requires travel to field sites, which may include travel to insecure locations where freedom of movement is limited and areas where amenities are limited.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.