Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Kenya Country Strategic Plan is based on the National Zero Hunger Strategic Review, as well as the United Nations Development Assistance Framework. It contributes to Sustainable Development Goals 2 and 17, as well as WFP Strategic Results 1, 4, 5 and 8, through four specific outcomes:
- Refugees and asylum seekers living in camps/settlements and populations affected by natural and man-made disasters have access to adequate food to meet their food and nutrition needs.
- Targeted smallholder producers, food-insecure and vulnerable populations benefit from sustainable, inclusive food systems and increased resilience to climate shocks to meet food and nutrition needs by 2023.
- National and county institutions in Kenya have strengthened capacity and systems to assist food-insecure and nutritionally vulnerable populations by 2023.
- Government, humanitarian and development partners in Kenya have access to and benefit from effective and cost-efficient logistics services, including air transport, common coordination platforms, and improved commodity supply chains.
WFP Kenya works in some of the remotest parts of the country, working with local communities to deliver on our promise to enhance food securiy, eliminate mulnutrition and strengthen food systems. We work with the national and country governments as well as national and international actors, including other UN bodies, the private sector and individuals of goodwill.
This is a leadership role that heads a small team of procurement staff and reports to the Senior Deputy Country Director. The holder of the position is expected to operate with a high degree of independence, and guide more junior staff to ensure effective procurement services.
This position will head the Procurement Unit and the primary responsibility is to oversee collection, analysis and reporting on information to maximize efficiency of procurement operations and activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute towards the development of procurement plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider procurement policies and WFP standards.
2. Support or manage procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard processes to contributing to successful procurement of food and non-food commodities or services.
3. Track and analyse data to provide recommendations for process improvement.
4. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports of procurement activities, to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
5. Collate information and draft appropriate responses to recommendations to support auditing of procurement activities and ensure conformity with compliance rules.
6. Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners including suppliers, superintendents, companies, etc to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
7. Support training of WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food and non-food commodities and services, for example designing and reviewing training materials.
8. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
9. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed goods and services to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
10. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
11. Other responsibilities as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Engineering, Legal or Accounting or other relevant field. Applicants with a first University degree in Procurement related field with two (2) additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses will be considered.
Work Experience: Five years or more postgraduate progressive professional (managerial) experience in procurement or related field with a minimum of 2 years in a leadership role.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience with procurement activities (Vendor Management, Commodity/Product/Service Intelligence, Systems & Reporting, Tendering and Contracting and Ethics and Compliance etc.).
• Experience conducting cost analysis.
• Experience working with vendors or other partners.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Tendering & Contracting||Demonstrates ability to establish and manage small contracts/ portions of larger contracts that enhance the value WFP obtains from its engagements (e.g., cost, efficiency, quality).|
|Vendor Management||Demonstrates working knowledge and understanding of the supplier network and business needs to effectively select vendors that meet the selection criteria.|
|Commodity/Product/Service Intelligence||Selects appropriate products and/or services in own area based on a basic understanding of sources, country requirements, and public procurement principles/practices.|
|Systems & Reporting||Demonstrates strong understanding of procurement systems, Corporate operating System and tools to conduct range of analyses and generate reports to drive decision making.|
|Ethics & Compliance||Demonstrates ability to collect, collate and report records relating to ethics and compliance to assist in the analysis of audit findings.|
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for receiving applications: 8 June 2022
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The job holder is expected to lead the Procurement team at the Kenya Country Office and is expected to have the necessary technical knowledge and experience gained over years of professional practice, and to guide the team in identifying, analysing and providing solutions in a wide range of procurement issues.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.