Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
CHIEF PROCUREMENT OFFICER GRADE 15 EU/VC/2022 – 0502
OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR
The Chief Procurement Officer/ Procurement Manager will direct and coordinate all aspects of the University’s Procurement, Accounts Payable, and University Services functions. He/ she will operationalize policies, procedures, and objectives for the university’s procurement activities in accordance with the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015) and other applicable guidelines as per the law provided.
Responsibilities of the Head of Procurement Unit
- Overseeing and facilitating the purchasing strategy,
- Planning and coordinating the activities of the Procurement Unit and managing the development and implementation of the procurement plan in the University
- Providing inputs for the preparation of the annual budget
- Receiving procurement requests from originating officers, ensuring that the proposed procurement is within the approved procurement plan, and that budgeted funds are available prior to commencement of the procurement proceedings.
- Co-ordinating the preparation of specifications, terms of reference, short-lists or advertisements, and pre-qualification, tender or request for quotation documents, and where so required, submission of tender documentation for evaluation prior to issue
- Arranging the publication of advertisements and notices of contracts
- Co-ordinating the process of opening of tenders and quotations and ensuring the preparation of formal records of tender or quotation opening in accordance with the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015), and Regulations (2020)
- Preparing submissions for approval of award by the Vice Chancellor in accordance with the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015), and Regulations (2020).
- Maintaining and updating the database of suppliers
- Negotiating with consultants, where necessary or other tenderers where expressly permitted, in the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015), and Regulations (2020)
- Preparing notification of awards and contracts
- Preparing Contract Documents and Purchase Orders, in line with award decisions
- Maintaining procurement records in accordance with Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015), and Regulations (2020)
- Advising the University management on the following:
- Reliability of suppliers based on past dealings with them
- Ability of suppliers to provide credit to the University where necessary
- Ability of suppliers to give warranties where applicable.
- Supervising teams of subordinate staff in purchasing, operations and logistics.
- Earned Bachelor’s and Master’s in Procurement and Supplies Management OR equivalent degrees from accredited institution(s)
- At least 10 years’ experience at senior procurement position directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- A Member of Kenya Institute of Supplies Management
- Computer literate, especially MS Word and MS Excel skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to negotiate contract terms with key suppliers to ensure value for money, quality standards and delivery terms with technical and operational input from stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare bids, requests for quotes, and proposals in compliance with GoK policies and requirements.
- Ability to manage contractual arrangements and obligations.
- Ability to assess and report on contract compliance and product/ service quality.
- Ability to analyze purchasing requests/ orders for compliance with procurement procedures.
- Ability to forecast price and market trends to identify changes of balance in buyer supplier power.
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain a supplier relationship and evaluation process to measure effective supplier performance and compliance.
- Knowledge of accounts payable principles, procedures, and standards.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Skills in examining and re-engineering procurement operations and procedures, and formulating policy.
- Ability to supervise and train employees and foster a cooperative work environment.
- Working knowledge of contract law.
- Provide leadership to the procurement section.
- Be a mentor and manage a team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions.
- Set department objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance of procurement activities
- Ensure that the procurement function operates in accordance with required health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and other stakeholders
The incumbent shall hold office on a contract period of five (5) years but may be eligible for reappointment for a further one term in accordance with terms and conditions of service as approved by the Council from time to time.
Notes on Application
- Candidates should indicate two references of persons in the field/ profession who may be contacted by the Selection Committee for their recommendations.
- Applicants should state their current designation, salary and other benefits attached to those designations.
- The application letter must bear the reference code as shown in the advertisement.
- Applications should be emailed to:
THE VICE CHANCELLOR
P.O. BOX 536
- Only the Successful applicants would be required to submit the following:
- Clearance from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau
- Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct)
Chief Procurement Officer Grade 15 – Kshs.209,694/= – Kshs.283,087/=
Application letter together with two (2) copies of each giving full details of age, marital status, academic certificates, transcripts, certified copies of the current payslip, curriculum vitae and professional qualification, experience, current post, salary, and other financial benefits and a copy of a valid certificate of Good Conduct. Names and addresses of three (3) referees one of whom should be your present or previous employer quoting the reference number on the envelope should be addressed to:-
The Deputy Vice Chancellor
(Administration Planning & Development)
P. O. Box 536 – 20115
So as to reach him not later than 8th June, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants are required to request their referees to write to us directly using the above address. Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply. Egerton University is an equal opportunity employer.