Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Packaging specialist
Type of Contract: Junior Consultant
Division: SCOQ – Food Safety & Quality Division/ African Risk Capacity
Duty Station (City, Country): Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Background: The World Food Program seeks to diversify the food used in humanitarian assistance though the organization already distributes items ranging from basic agriculture commodities to sophisticated nutritious foods.
The packaging requirements for grain and pulses is significantly different than those used for fortified pastes such as the lipid-based nutrient supplements and dietary supplements like micronutrient powders. With this diversification, increasingly various packaging solutions will be necessary to protect the food. The humanitarian food supply chain is long and challenging, and therefore packaging plays a critical role in protecting food safety, maintaining food quality, facilitating storage and handling while seeking at reducing the impact on the environment to a minimum.
Purpose of assignment: Operational position to support head quarter and regional bureaux to improve all aspects of packaging used or needed in the humanitarian food supply chain to ensure a higher degree of safety for consumers, better food quality throughout the product shelf-life and lowered environmental impact.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Ensure good implementation of projects aiming at improving packaging quality, safeguard of food safety and quality supply chain efficiency, sustainability
2. Ensure good practices in terms of storage and transport are implemented in WFP and partners warehouses
3. Lead assessments and trials for new packaging with suppliers and warehouses
4. Work closely with food manufacturers and packaging suppliers to help them meeting WFP requirements
5. Manage food incidents related to packaging
6. Support in reviewing WFP manuals and documents related to packaging
7. Transitioning packaging specifications into the specifications module of FOSTER, WFP’s quality management system
8. Support the development of packaging training for internal use
9. Support packaging compliance tests initiative
10. Support on other tasks as required and other regional bureaux (80% Regional Bureau East Africa and 20% other Regional Bureaux)
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
Work on projects that will demonstrate the impact of improvement on WFP operations.
Packaging specifications available into the specifications module of FOSTER, WFP’s quality management system.
Food packaging incidents addressed and closed.
Food manufacturers and packaging suppliers enhanced.
Other as necessary
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advance University Degree in packaging technology, packaging engineering or other related field or First University degree with an additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
– Minimum 3 years of work experience, preferably in the area of flexible packaging and/or multiple materials.
– Proven project management experience is required.
– Experience in R&D or factory within the food industry is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills:
– sound theoretical understanding of food technology, especially in the field of packaging
– good understanding of food packaging requirements and supply chain practices
– good communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and adapt communication style to different situations and individuals
Fluency (level C) in oral and written English
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 13 June 2022
Ref.: VA No. 164285
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority.
Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.