Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Assistant System & Network Administrator
Department: ICT Services
Reporting to: System & Network Administrator
Basic job summary:
Working in a team responsible for ICT Infrastructure Services, the jobholder will support service delivery and projects execution towards ensuring the efficient and effective running of all ICT infrastructure to enable the University meet its operational needs and subsequently achieve its strategic mandate. This will entail planning, design, building, configuration, testing, implementation and management, of University-wide ICT Infrastructure Systems, which includes but is not limited to the following technologies: server hardware and software; storage hardware and software; virtual systems and software; local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN)and network devices such as routers and switches; network security devices such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems (IDS), intrusion prevention systems (IPS); internet bandwidth and related management tools; cloud-based infrastructure services; physical infrastructure related systems such as CCTV, Access Control; Communication systems such as VOIP-based telephone systems, email system, emergency evacuation systems among many others.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Network and Systems Management: To ensure that Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) are infrastructure systems are fully available, effective, efficient and sufficiently secure as well as set policies and standards. Further it includes innovation, capacity planning and continuous monitoring and instituting of ongoing improvements so as to continuously meet business requirements and user expectations.
- Service Management and Documentation: Facilitate the development of service designs, operational processes, standards and procedures within the purview of ICT Infrastructure in line with IT service delivery best practices such as ITIL and ISO 20000, with the intention of increasing their maturity. This includes maintenance of technical documentation related to configuration and change management of infrastructure as well as technical troubleshooting and root-cause analysis as part of Incident and Problem management.
- ICT Project Management: To ensure allocated ICT infrastructure projects well planned and are managed professionally using appropriate project management methods and techniques to minimize risks to the University, while fully realizing expected business benefits within time and budget constraints
- Vendor Management: Ensure proper formulation, authorization and management of vendor contracts and service level agreements (SLA) for ICT infrastructure acquisition and development projects to ensure contract deliverables are achieved, with consideration of the full systems life cycle (including ongoing maintenance) and that contract risks are minimized.
- ICT Security Management: Implementing, enforcing and reviewing with an intention to keep it current, the University’s information security policy and the supporting standards and procedures; and at an infrastructure level, ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability of systems. This includes ensuring logical, physical and environmental security of ICT Infrastructure systems and data according to set security standards and business/user expectations.
- Disaster Recovery (DR) Planning: Ensure the maintenance of appropriate backup and recovery infrastructure used as part of DR planning for ICT systems and services. This further include disaster recovery planning for ICT Infrastructure systems and regular testing to ensure availability in the event of a disaster to be within stipulated & expected timelines and thresholds (i.e. RPO, RTO, and SDO).
- Policy Formulation and Compliance: Participate in the formulation, review, updating and propagation of appropriate policies, related standards and procedures to keep them relevant to Strathmore University requirements and in appreciation of best practice. Further, is to abide by them and ensure their enforcement in order to maintain quality ICT Infrastructure services in the University. And to also work towards resolution of identified non-conformance (s) within ICT Infrastructure systems and services as established by quality assessments, audits among other assurance exercises.
- Professional Development: Grow and maintain professional development by attending educational workshops/seminars/conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing professional networks and participating in professional societies.
- Reporting: Support decision making by formulating appropriate technical as well as managerial metrics and insights and using those to design concise and simple reports to apprise senior IT management, respective ICT Committees and/or business management on matters pertaining to ICT Infrastructure services, systems and projects according to agreed schedule/cycles or on ad hoc basis.
- Other Duties: Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Business Information Technology (BBIT), Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications (BSc. TC), Bachelor of Science in Informatics and Computer Science or an ICT related degree qualification.
- Network Administration certifications (CCNA/HP, N+)
- Windows Administration Certification (MCSE, MCSA, etc.),
- LINUX certification and/or proven proficiency
- IT Service Management (ITIL , ISO 20000, etc.)
- 1-year relevant experience in Networks Administration and Systems Administration role within a busy and highly automated ICT environment.
- At-least 3 years working experience with some prior exposure in an end-user support role.
Competencies and Attributes
- Server Administration and management skills – Linux and Windows
- Network infrastructure skills – Cisco, HP etc.
- Storage and virtualization infrastructure skills- VMware/HP etc.
- Enterprise Wireless Management
- Advanced routing and switching skills
- Infrastructure monitoring using Nagios, SCOM, SCCM etc.
- Thinks outside the box (creative);
- Attention to detail,
- Results – oriented;
- Works well under pressure,
- Team player;
- Problem solving focus;
- Good interpersonal & communication skills.
- Technical zeal;
- Strong time management & organizational skills;
- Self-discipline and drive;
- High integrity and ethical standards
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume and letter of application (ONLY) quoting “Assistant System & Network Administrator” on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6th June 2022.
Due to the large number of applications, we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be advised that Strathmore University is an equal opportunity employer and does NOT ask for money from applicants under any circumstances during its recruitment process. Interested applicants are encouraged to exercise caution upon receiving any such interview opportunity that requires payment of any money.