Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Sous Chef, Food Services – (220000VA)
Department: Food Services
Entity: Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi is a private not-for-profit teaching hospital that provides tertiary and secondary level healthcare services. It is the first hospital in East Africa to be accredited by the Joint Commission International from the USA. The University Hospital has been providing high-quality care for the people of East Africa and beyond for over 60 years.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Manager, Food Services, Facilities Management Division, Aga Khan University Hospital.
Supervise kitchen operations in a timely manner and in line with the food production quality and specifications so as to meet/exceed AKUH staff/patients/guests’ satisfaction.
General kitchen and staff management:
- Ensure the efficient and smooth running of the kitchen; promote and maintain good working relationships throughout the production team; carry out, monitor and ensure effective recording of staff training;
- Undertake a mentoring and coaching role to support the development of all members of the production and steward catering team.
- Undertake induction training for all new staff in the department; undertake training to enhance and improve personal skills and knowledge; appraises and recommends training/promotion of all production to the Head chef.
Food Purchasing & Cost Control:
- Ensure that details of all orders are recorded according to set procedures while ensuring that orders are placed on time and are accurate to the needs of the business.
- Ensure that stock levels are kept at agreed levels so that groceries are fresh and frozen products are used quickly and rotated in a systematic way.
- Ensure that an effective stock rotation procedure is adhered to at all times and assist in the monthly stock take with the Head Chef and Manager, Food and Beverage
- Quality control: Demonstrate and maintain high cooking standards to meet and exceed Customer/ patient expectations. Ensure that high levels of customer service are maintained at all times.
Menu Planning & Food Production:
- Manage the production and planning of dishes in accordance with agreed procedures based on an analysis of customer numbers as on the census and the summary form.
- Assist the Head chef to devise and plan menus for all customers including events and conference meals taking into account the varied requirements of the hospital and individuals, including special diets; cost all menus and special events requirements using the most up-to-date measures.
- Take action to minimize wastage at all stages of food production by implementing controls, keeping records and making reports as required.
- Instill into the kitchen a culture of essential hygiene practices connected with storage, cooking and storage of food; the importance of clean, tidy sanitized and hygienic working practices such as use of coded knives/ chopping boards and table surfaces etc.
Health & Safety
- Monitor all activities in line with the JCIA (joint commission international accreditation; Ensure compliance with all food hygiene regulations are adhered to within the kitchen environment in accordance with Health & Safety regulations.
- Perform any other job as assigned by the Head Chef or Manager, Food services
Qualifications and skills required:
- Minimum of a Diploma in food production from a reputable institution or equivalent
- C.S.E mean grade of C
- Minimum of 3 years’ work experience as a sous chef or leadership role in an institutional of food production set-up
- Training in HACCP management system is an added advantage
- Be a self-starter with good organization and communication skills
- Good communication skills with a good command of the English language (written and spoken)
- Computer literate
- A team player with high levels of motivation and flexibility
- A passion for food and a commitment to upholding the highest standards
- Ambition to go further with your career
- Professional grooming and self-presentation
How To Apply