Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
TICAH is a feminist organization that works to promote health, equitable relationships, and community action. We dream of societies where barriers to equitable health and social outcomes are removed including for the most marginalized populations. We work towards this dream by seeking to enhance the positive links between health and cultural knowledge, practices, beliefs and artistic expression. We believe that culture shapes health, that beauty is powerful, that expression is activism and that stories have something to teach.
Our work involves Listening and Co-Creation of interventions with communities, creation of Safe Spaces for Values Clarification and Training of Trainers; We also have strong programming in Advocacy and Celebration where we raise our voices to advocate for better laws, policies and practices to protect rights, access to holistic health services, freedom of expression, sexual & reproductive health & rights.
We celebrate the beauty and diversity of ideas, ethnicities, religions,
sexuality, music, art, genders, indigenous cultures, and traditions as
expressions of a healthy society.
Our 4 main programs are;
● Our Bodies, Our Choices, a SRH program encouraging more honest and healthy approaches to sexual life through curricula, trainings, peer discussions and a hotline. With like-minded organizations we advocate for key issues incl. comprehensive sexuality education and access to safe legal abortion.
● Healthy Households working with households to prevent illness and stay healthy by teaching practical, affordable, and sustainable practices by focusing on food and herbal remedies.
● Art with Heart Working with artists to ensure that the sector thrives and that art is valued for its ability to elevate marginalized voices and ideas, support healing from trauma and advocate for change.
● Indigenous Knowledge and Culture Working closely with cultural practitioners and elders to bring positive indigenous knowledge and culture into holistic health and solving community challenges.
With a team of 18, TICAH’s work has impacted over 120,000 people in increasing knowledge, agency and access to health services and fundamental rights. TICAH coordinates a regional network (MAMA Network) with over 35 grassroots organizations across 23 African countries working to promote
This is an exciting time in TICAH’s journey! After 19 years of impact we have just finalized our new 5-year strategic plan. It emphasizes our mission of amplifying community action towards holistic health and fundamental rights and affirms an intersectional and multidisciplinary programming approach. We areexpecting to impact 500,000 people by the year 2026. Our 3 priority areas are Gender Justice, Climate Justice and Holistic health.
More details on our new strategy plan here and here. Our website: https://www.ticahealth.org/
About the role
As Head of Finance and Operations, you will ensure efficiency and effectiveness of all support functions and processes in the organization to support the growth of our programs and impact. You will lead our finance department, overseeing all our accounting and subgranting procedures, driving effective multi-year budgeting, and ensuring stellar compliance with all our donors’ requirements. The role also oversees the HR, office and admin support function, all in service of TICAH’s mision, goals, programs and staff. This is a new role at TICAH and part of the Leadership Team, TICAH’s strategic think-tank providing mission-driven leadership towards the accomplishment of the Strategic Plan.
Your responsibilities will include:
Provide Organization & Department Leadership (20%)
● Support the ED in ensuring regular reviews of the organization’s progress on the strategic plan
● As part of the Leadership Team you will play a key role in providing strategic direction to TICAH,ensuring the Strategic Plan is implemented, and both draw from and provide inputs to the various committees.
● Champion improvement, optimization and team-wide adoption of organizational processes in general, and own all organizational SOPs and policies (procurement, HR policies, financial policies, etc)
● Oversee the finance, operations and HR areas, set goals and objectives, and design a framework for these to be met.
Lead Financial Management (40%)
● Closely work with the ED to maintain the financial health of the organization. Provide financial reports and interpret financial information to ED, LT and board while recommending further courses of action.
● Lead budgeting: Create Multi-Year Budget Projections. Prepare consolidated annual organization budget (incorporating all program budgets) to help understand the liquidity of TICAH
● Design and implement effective budgeting policies and procedures. Build program team’s capacity on budget creation and support in the development of program budgets.
● Be the face of donor compliance at TICAH. This includes developing a deep understanding of all our donor agreements, so that you can ensure we deliver on the nuanced requirements from different donors.
● Support fundraising: Inspire confidence in our ability to manage funds compliantly in conversations with potential and new donors. Final approval on budgets for donor proposals. Champion compliance in more exacting application processes.
● Review and analyze the monthly grant dashboards prepared by the senior accountant. Liaise with and advise the Program Teams on activity project budget monitoring, re allocations and spendings to ensure ideal spending.
● Oversee the timely completion and accuracy of financial donor reports
● Act as budget owner for the various general funds (unrestricted grants, sales revenues, individual donations, investment returns): Budget, monitor spending and manage arising opportunities for spending
● Manage and support the sub-granting coordinator. Oversee sub-granting procedures and check reports on a monthly basis.
● Advise on investment activities and provide strategies that the company should take. Oversee organization’s investments and assets
Oversee Accounting and Statutory Compliance (20%)
● Oversee all accounting procedures. Manage the senior accountant and support as needed.
● Analyze management accounts on a monthly basis, draw insights and provide information to SLT for decision making.
● Review cash flow and ensure we have enough funds in the KES account available for arising payments on a monthly basis● Examine and review documents related to the monthly accounting closure e.g staff imprests, bank
reconciliations, accounting reports, investments
● Sign off on payments as per policy
● Oversee external audit and support internal audit process
● Oversee tax compliance
● Lead organizational risk management
● Ensure TICAH follows all legal requirements (NGO board, licenses, etc.)
● Develop and maintain effective working relationships with regulatory institutions, consultants, etc
Lead Operations to effectively support the organization (20%)
● Lead TICAH’s HR objectives and provide oversight to the HR Manager. Ensure definition, review, communication, implementation of HR Policy & procedures in service of employees and the organization.
● Oversee all HR processes (hiring, learning & development, staff engagement survey, grievance handling, disciplinary, succession plans, exit procedure, leave procedures, HR admin etc) and pull in Executive Director and Leadership Team as required for joint decision making
● Ensure our performance appraisal process is effective through working with the HR Manager and line managers
● Ensure regular review of the organogram in line with demands and plans
● Lead review of reward & remuneration system (salary budgets, pay grades, bonus etc)
● Manage and oversee the Office Administrator
● Manage key supplier relationships (e.g. insurance, travel agent)
● Oversee procurement and ensure teams follow procedure
● Oversee management of TICAH stocks (publications) and assets (computers, banners, etc)
Who we are looking for:
● You share our passion for holistic health and fundamental human rights and are excited about our 4 program areas. You believe in the individual’s right to choose and self-determine when it comes to their sexual and reproductive health.
● You are excited to lead a joint function of Finance, HR and Operations. As a self-driven leader you are ready to take charge of the department and learn what needs learning.
● Excited to be involved in leading an organization through a growth and change journey. Ideally you have contributed to cross-cutting discussions on organizational strategy and management.
● Senior financial management professional with track record in a non-profit and grant environment:o You have 10+ years of relevant progressive work experience
o 3+ years in a role where you managed a finance department and had oversight across all finance functions (organizational and program budgeting, accounting, payroll, donor reporting, management finance, etc)
o Extensive experience in managing donor funding from fundraising through tracking to reporting.
o Deep understanding of a wide range of donor requirements: from unrestricted to more structured. You know how to translate all nuances from the donor agreements into financial and accounting procedures and streamlined action and compliance across the organization.
o Track record in a multi-donor multi-program environment is key.
o You have led the creation and management of organizational budgets.
o Strong ability to analyze financial documents, draw insights and make recommendations.
o You have been part of successfully optimizing program budgets with an impact/outcomes lense.
o Strongly preferred if you have worked in a mid-sized and fast-growing NGO with a budget size of around 1-5m USD
o You know how to prioritize data for board updates and have prepared and held board presentations with financial data and recommendations to assist board decision making
o You have been involved in senior financial decisions regarding the financial health of an organization (investments, cost cutting, currency exchange)
o Knowledge on managing organizational reserves and analyzing investment options is welcome
● You care about efficiency and have a track record of improving and optimizing processes and procedures in organizations and influencing people to use the new and improved way of working.
● Strong coordination skills and ability to keep everyone on track in a time-bound project or activity
● Strong knowledge on compliance issues for an NGO and general affinity to interpreting legal regulations.
● You understand HR from a procedural standpoint, and ideally you have further skills, knowledge and interest around HR functions like performance management and talent development.
● Previous results in developing SOPs and ensuring understanding and adherence across the organization.
● You are organized and able to bring efficiency and structure into organizations WHILE being comfortable with uncertainty, multiple urgent arising priorities and change.
● Previous staff management experience. You believe in growing and investing in team and staff development.
● Previous results in streamlining organizational processes for efficiency and effectiveness.
● You have CPA-K, are an ICPAK member, and hold a relevant bachelor’s degree.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at TICAH if
● You are genuinely interested and comfortable conversing on diverse ideas and opinions. You continuously challenge your own assumptions and beliefs
● You love or are interested in exploring the African indigenous culture
● You don’t judge people for their life choices but genuinely want to support them!
● You think out of the box, and work hard to see your crazy ideas come to life
● You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between
interacting with grassroots community members, and high-level stakeholders
● You walk your talk, your words and actions mirror your personal and professional beliefs. You are self driven and genuinely are excited to be contributing to positive change in the world
● You genuinely listen to understand, and believe that those closest to the problem are best placed to find solutions to the problem.
Why work with us
● You will be part of growing our impact with a vast exciting network and pool of partnerships that wehave built over the past 19 years
● Exposure to participate and contribute across all our programs
● An opportunity to dream of all possible solutions and make them come true
● We are a committed team and we treat each other like family
● Our team works hard and also realizes the importance of having fun in and out of work
● We walk our talk. We are brave and bold in everything we do
● We are an egalitarian organization – if equality and fair access to opportunity excites you, join us!
Anticipated start date is August or September 2022. The role will be based in our Karen office with occasional home office option if workflow allows. We are looking for candidates who are excited to make along-term commitment.
There will be a six-month probationary period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
How to apply
- Read this guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- If you are interested in the role and have questions, do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com
- Apply by filling out the application survey below.https://bit.ly/TICAHHFO
- You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is tailored towards the role, no longer than 3 pages and in PDF format.
- The recruitment is carried out in collaboration with edge. All communication regarding this role will come only from email addresses in the domains @edgeperformance.co.ke and @ticahealth.org