Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Workplace / location: Field based position in Kakuma, Turkana County, Kenya
Initial Contract Details: June, 2022 for 7 months with possibility of extension.
About Peace Winds Japan
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refugee and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
In Turkana West Sub-county, PWJ is actively engaged in promoting sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situations through its shelter and WASH projects in line with the National Government of Kenya as well as County Government of Turkana strategic plans; clearly integrated in the Kalobeyei Integrated Socio-Economic Development Programme of 2018.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Program Coordinator for PWJ’s Turkana-West operation is responsible to support the field team to implement quality WASH, infrastructure development and livelihood projects according to donor agreements and within the quality principles defined by SPHERE, CHS, Kalobeyei Integrated Socio Economic Development Programme (KISEDP) and relevant government and humanitarian policies; ensures proactive collaboration with stakeholders and actors involved in humanitarian and development assistance in areas of WASH, infrastructure development and livelihoods in refugee settlements and host communities in Turkana West Sub-county, Turkana County. The job holder is responsible for designing and supporting the field team to implement project activities to make the WASH and other interventions sustainable both in refugee settlement and host communities; promoting communications between technical, MEAL, supporting and management teams to improve efficiency and quality of work; integrating cross-cutting issues such as PSEA, gender equality and inclusion in the programing; supporting the team to ensure proper documentations and reporting of the activities and performance; building capacity of the field team on impact oriented planning and implementation; leading proposal development process for expanding opportunities.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee and support the overall project implementation of the field team in close consultation with the management team, assuring that projects are implemented within agreed scope, budget and timeframe and ensuring that objectives are met.
- Support the field team to develop their capacities in designing, implementing and monitoring activities which respond to the real needs of the target populations, promote the shift from conventional humanitarian WASH assistance to sustainable and impact-oriented approaches.
- Ensure integration of the approaches to address cross cutting issues especially PSEA, gender equity and equality and inclusion of diverse and vulnerable populations into project activities.
- Ensure that Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning are practiced according to the organizational policy and donor requirement. Provide guidance and capacity building to the teams so that data collection, documentation, analysis and verification processes cover not only immediate outputs but seek to grasp outcomes and impacts and produce meaningful insights in project progress. Ascertain that donor reporting is with qualitative depth, in time and accurate.
- Maintain an up-to-date overview of the regional situation and reflect it in the program, including operationalization of recently enacted refugee acts, implementation of durable solutions to the protracted refugee situation in the region, and the emergence of new needs due to increased refugee influx, drought and floods, etc.
- Remain informed on ongoing trends and innovations in the global WASH and humanitarian/development community, all with a view towards possible new strategies and approaches.
- Facilitate the development of strategy for future PWJ interventions in Turkana County and support the country office in the development and production of concepts and proposals.
- Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated projects are produced and filed according to the guidelines and easily accessible in real-time to all relevant personnel.
- Proactively engage into relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) in the field to promote meaningful partnerships and collaborations.
- Develop the budgets for the designated projects in collaboration with management and field teams in accordance with donor and PWJ’s requirements.
- Facilitate budget literacy among field team and conduct regular budget reviews with the team to assure that funds are spent according to the plan and donor agreements.
- Work closely with area manager and HR staff to ensure all personnel related issues of the staff under his/her supervision are carried out in accordance with HR guidelines. This includes recruitment, performance review, disciplinary action, exit interviews etc.
- Build effective and joyful team environments via regular team meetings, a consultative/deliberative, honest and transparent leadership style that supports trust and open, respectful communication while giving clear directions.
- Guide and mend the sector leads so that program and support teams work jointly towards a quality humanitarian intervention delivered within agreed scope, timeframe, and budget.
- Involve as far as possible team members in proposal development, budget management, reporting, external representation, and other tasks to build their competence and distribute workloads.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback on the quality of the program and interventions to the team members and discuss with them on how to maintain or improve
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor or higher degree/s that cover a relevant technical subject relating to WASH and project management, international development or business management.
- More than 3 years’ experience in a project management position in a humanitarian or development environment.
- More than 5 years’ field experience in implementing WASH or/and relevant humanitarian or/and development projects.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills with focus on systemic change.
- Proven facilitation skills, acquired participatory toolbox, and good governance approaches.
- Sound report and proposal writing skills including clear presentation and interpretation of data and justification of needs, approaches, and quality of results. Good negotiation skills and facilitation of multi-stakeholder cooperation.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Good knowledge of current frameworks, debates and strategies of humanitarian and development assistance.
How to apply
We are looking to recruit Kenyan national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 13th June, 2022 to: email@example.com In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post.
N/B Indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of the email. Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.