Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Title: Food Fortification Specialist
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
The one-year Technical Assistance Accelerator Prelude (TAAP) investment will lay the foundation for a potential five-year Technical Assistance Accelerator (TAA) program main grant to increase relevant and sustained large-scale coverage of fortified foods. Under the initial TAAP, TechnoServe will develop, implement, and refine the model for the larger TAA program: establishing a PPP platform; building and managing relationships with private sector partners; and developing scalable tools and program elements. It will also serve as an opportunity to explore industry-owned innovations in the enabling environment for food fortification that harness digitalization.
The vision for the TAA, is a public-private partnership (PPP) with Fortification Partners providing technical assistance (TA) and high-quality inputs to over 100 national food processors per year, helping to close gaps in their motivation and ability to comply with national fortification regulations. The TAA will set up a platform to link these Fortification Partners with specific local food processors, matching Fortification Partners’ technical expertise and strategic interests with the identified capability gaps of the TA recipients. The TAAP will focus on 6 countries namely, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, of which India, Kenya and Nigeria will serve as operational nodes
The Food Fortification Specialist, will report to the TAAP Program Manager and engage closely with local food companies to help identify capacity gaps and specific Technical Assistance (TA) needed to support quality fortification. They will also collaborate with the Fortification Partners to design and deliver technical modules through Technical Assistant Accelerator (TAA) templates.
Key roles and responsibilities;
- Support the execution of stakeholder engagement and operational plan for program node
- Coordinate stakeholder convenings and sector-wide training, in collaboration with the Program Manager and in alignment with strategic objectives
- Work with selected food processors to identify their challenges to adequate fortification compliance, support assisted companies with solutions to address these challenges and coordinate with Strategic Fortification Partners (SFPs) to execute Techincal Assistance (TA)
- Identify common fortification challenges and work with the TAAP team to support the design and delivery of sector-wide training workshops to strengthen these gaps
- Review, monitor, and report on all programmatic activities including periodic progress, and financial reports, ensuring strict compliance with Techno’s objectives, strategies, policies and procedures. Make appropriate recommendations on the implementation plan
Key Organizational Relationships
- The Food Technologist will report directly to the Program Manager on strategic issues related to work planning, targets, budgets, staff and program delivery
- The Food Technologist will receive technical oversight and support from the Program Manager and the Strategic Fortification Partners (SFP) with respect to training and technology transfer to assisted companies
Skills & Attributes
- Food processing experience, preferably in staple foods, with an understanding of quality management, food regulatory compliance and fortification technology
- Strong project management and strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind and commitment to quality; rigorous approach with a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work in an environment requiring collaboration with the private sector, government, and national and international organizations
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Flexible, proactive, goal-oriented and with a willingness to travel in challenging environments.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, problem-solving, and creativity
- Organizing, planning and time management
- Teamwork/relationship – works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team with the full understanding of the role to be played as a team member or leader
Required skills and experiences:
- At least 3 years of experience working in the food industry for either the private sector or implementing on behalf of a development program, with strong quality management experience a must
- Managerial experience, including supervision of staff, budget management and use of project management systems
- Bachelor’s in Food Technology, Nutrition, or food industry related fields; Master’s preferred
- Computer literacy with excellent Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent command of spoken and written English is essential
- Working knowledge of Swahili is highly desirable
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and abroad
To Apply: Please submit your application with the position title placed in the subject line. Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae. Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially. Deadline for applications is 22nd June 2022 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes