Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Title: Food Processing Associate
Reports to: Senior Food Processing Specialist
Travel: To location of program activities
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) is a public private partnership between TechnoServe, Partners in Food Solutions and USAID that aims to create a more competitive food-processing sector. We aim to unlock this potential by providing technical assistance and sector-wide training to food processors in Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia, leveraging the power of the private sector to create better nutritional outcomes for vulnerable consumers and more profitable market opportunities for local farmers. Employee volunteers from PFS’ member companies – General Mills, Cargill, DSM, Bühler, The Hershey Company, Ardent Mills and The J.M. Smucker Company – and TechnoServe staff apply their expertise to help processors of nutritious foods, including supplementary and therapeutic foods, address the manufacturing and business challenges that limit their growth. Additionally, ISF Advisors, a project partner, works with financial institutions and other actors to help food processors access the financing they need to grow. AINFP works with food processors to develop strategies to profitably source more crops from local farmers, opening up a more stable market for those growers, and additionally works with the food processors to ensure that their nutritious products reach vulnerable consumers by developing new marketing strategies and sales channels.
The Food Processing Associate will support in the provision of advisory services to food processors at country level in coordination with the Senior Food Processing Specialist, Partners in Food Solutions and corporate volunteer experts. S/he will oversee engagements with selected clients, and collaborate with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
Key Roles and Responsibility:
Client Relationship Management
- In coordination with other team members identify clients (processors, industry bodies, aggregators etc.) that can have an impact on the availability of nutritious food products and on broader food systems.
- Clearly identify and document their aspirations and challenges; plot a mutually agreed intended impact and route to reach it.
- Plan activities to ensure that the shared objectives are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized.
- Effectively manage, maintain and nurture the relationship with these clients.
- Ensure regular and responsive communication to monitor progress, identify problems at an early stage and respond to them.
Coordination of Technical Assistance
- Provide on-the-ground support for implementation of technical advice, on issues identified by the business diagnostic.
- In collaboration with other team members at country and regional level develop and deliver standardized trainings and quick win solutions to less sophisticated clients with simpler technical and business needs.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Provide anecdotal evidence of impact, including success stories, case studies and lessons learnt
- Ensure activities carried out are in accordance with TechnoServe and donor requirements.
Minimum Skills and Experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree in food science, food nutrition or a related degree.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the food industry or as a consultant to the industry
- Good knowledge and understanding of the challenges of food processing in Africa, both technical and business
- Previous work on a donor-funded program, ideally USAID
- Design and delivery of trainings
- Fluency to speak, read and write in English and Kiswahili is essential
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
To Apply: Please submit your application with the position title placed in the subject line. Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae. Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially. Deadline for applications is 30th June 2022. Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes
You must be logged in to post a comment.