Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
World Vision Kenya is part of the Inter-Agency Scheme for the Disclosure of Safeguarding-related Misconduct in Recruitment Process within the Humanitarian and Development Sector and all candidates will thus be screened as appropriate for any safeguarding related misconduct.
Job Title : Programme Officer – Carbon Development
Reporting to : Technical Program Manager – Child Learning & Household Resilience
Grade Level : 15
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of Position
Provide strategic guidance and coordination of carbon-related environmental project interventions within the field operation areas through strengthening the quality of carbon project management as a means to enhancing climate resilience programming across the Technical Program, grant projects and in line with FY 21-25 strategy guidance for increased Household resilience and towards safe and healthy environment for children.
Technical support in Project design and Quality Assurance (45%)
- Provide effective technical support to the Child Learning and Household Resilience (CLHHR) Technical Program teams on integration of carbon-related components in landscape restoration projects.
- Provide effective technical support to project teams on carbon project design and project cycle management. Additionally, in collaboration with field project teams; support the carbon management cycle in the two track cycle of carbon related projects
- Develop an overarching framework (based on different land tenure systems), to analyse carbon rights/ benefit-sharing under different programming contexts for World Vision Kenya (WVK).
- Guide the organization on effectiveness (especially environmental effectiveness), efficiency (economic efficiency and promotion of investment) and equity implications of carbon rights and benefit-sharing systems.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams to undertake actions related to GHG and carbon feasibility studies, project design document development, and GHG and carbon certification technical assistance
- Support in the management of project team activities including the preparation of project work plans, schedules, budgets, technical activities, and coordination of technical staff and sub-consultants to ensure efficient carbon programming
- Analyse carbon markets, standards and certification parameters to support decision mechanisms for carbon-related projects.
- Guide the organization on carbon credit modelling, monitoring and measurement frameworks.
- Integration of carbon-related landscape restoration and management elements in Child Learning and HH Resilience TP Design and/or yearly Annual Operation Plan (AOPs, DIPs, Annual Budgets)
- Support programs/projects to ensure that high quality Technical program/Project Designs are in place while mainstreaming climate mitigation in the project/programs
- Ensure carbon development elements are properly integrated in environmental and climate action strategic and operational plans and are rolled out across the organization.
- Support WVK in making policy and strategy level decisions on carbon programming within the context of the organizational strategy and the WV environmental stewardship policy.
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, Learning, Reporting and Innovation (20%)
- Develop an internal capacity building plan and support capacity building of relevant departments and staff on carbon programming.
- Enhance skills and capacities of staff and partners in climate mitigation and carbon development strategies, successful models and approaches in the Child Learning and HH Resilience TP and other TPs.
- Contribute to regular learning forums to profile, communicate and ensure adoption of promising practices as well as disseminate strategic carbon project development and management guidelines
- Support documentation and communication of best practice and lessons from carbon programmes.
- Ensure interpretation and utilization of assessment, baselines, evaluations and verification on quality of designs
- Strengthen research, learning, documentation and dissemination of WVK work on carbon project outcomes
- Ensure development of standardized monitoring tools for tracking carbon project result indicators.
- Upscale and support WVK’s current work and integration on DRR and Climate Action within and among WVK’s areas of operation
- Facilitate Regions and Programs to develop high quality integrated landscape restoration and carbon-related climate action projects through conceptualization, innovation, development and planning
- Gather data at National level for reporting on climate mitigation (MMR, Semi-Annual, Annual Reports) and CWB Annual Report
- Conduct trainings for staff on emerging/contemporary trends on carbon programming for increased awareness and integration.
Grants Acquisition (20%)
- Lead in development and utilization of MOUs / working agreements with sector strategic, funding and program/project implementation partners for carbon projects
- Participate in Go-No Go Processes, write ups, meeting with prospective donors and submission of concepts/proposals
- Support project impact analysis including project environmental and social impact assessment during proposal stages to inform Go/NoGo decisions on carbon-related projects.
- Technically support Resource Acquisition & Management (RAM) team to develop proposals/concepts to prospective donors and SOs for carbon-related projects as per the yearly set targets;
- Physically present/defend carbon development proposals to donors in coordination with RAM when required
- Respond effectively to calls and queries by donors and SOs on key Concepts/Proposals in liaison with RAM
Partnerships, Engagement, Networking and Advocacy (10%)
- Participate in joint technical coordination, planning and review meetings for carbon-related landscape restoration projects, plans and initiatives within the organization and externally including with government.
- Establish and maintain strategic contacts with the UN, Government, INGOs, Universities, Research Institutions, Donors and Embassies
- Ensure WVK representation in key strategic landscape restoration and carbon-related working groups and forums
Other Duties (5%)
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces as assigned from time to time
- Any other duty as assigned by the Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in forestry, geography, natural resources management or equivalent from a reputable university. Relevant post-graduate qualification(s) will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in forestry, natural resources management, carbon project design and implementation and GHG measurements or modelling.
- Experience leading or participating in carbon studies such as carbon feasibility study, Agriculture, Forestry and Land Use (AFOLU) carbon assessments, GHG and carbon project due diligence, and/or project design document development.
- Familiarity with certification in voluntary carbon certification, e.g., Verra Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance (CCBA), and Plan Vivo
- Practical understanding on energy audits and GHG measurements in compliance with international standards and guidelines will be an added advantage.
- Experience in proposal development with excellent project management skills and a good understanding of the project life cycle
- Membership with professional bodies on environment, climate change, carbon development or forestry is added advantage
- Experience in implementing integrated livelihoods, climate mitigation approaches particularly in the forestry and energy sectors, ecosystem restoration and carbon offset projects.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with management experience.
- A team player with ability to build capacity of staff on relevant technical fields
- Ability to take initiative, solve complex problems, exercise independent judgment and work with minimum supervision.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity with ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
Applicant Types Accepted:Local Applicants Only
You must be logged in to post a comment.