Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Business Development Officer (Carbon) JD
Job Title: Business Development Officer (Carbon)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position reports to Chief Commercial Officer
BURN is the largest vertically integrated modern cookstove company in the world, providing world-class R&D, manufacturing, and carbon offset projects from our HQ in Kenya and across 10 countries in Africa.
BURN is working to create a world where cooking positively impacts all life on earth, by producing the world’s most efficient biomass, liquid fuel, and electric cookstoves.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 1,300,000+ stoves in Africa. These stoves have helped 7.5+ million beneficiaries save over $400 million in fuel expenditures and 5.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. Our team of 600 people – 51% of whom are women – is on track to produce and sell over 150,000 stoves per month in 2022 at our solar-powered facility in Kenya.
About the Role
BURN is seeking a Business Development Officer for its Carbon team who will be responsible for identifying, building, and maintaining relationships with carbon financing partners and carbon offset purchasers for BURN’s carbon projects. The Officer will be responsible for generating leads, building client/partner relations via networking, and driving business success through investments in Burn’s carbon projects and by closing sales of BURN’s carbon credits. The officer will also be responsible for coordinating with heads of the Carbon team, Expansion team, and Sales team to build out pitch materials and partnership proposals.
The position requires strong organizational, writing, and research experience, as well as a strong sales/business development background, excellent communication skills, and practical business thinking. The ideal candidate will have hands-on client management and relationship-building experience and should be familiar with the carbon offsetting ecosystem. We seek a candidate familiar with driving strategic partnerships, particularly for sustainability projects, in emission-heavy industries. Experience in financial modeling, deal structuring, and investing/fundraising would be an added plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- New Business Development: Identify and develop new strategic partnerships that align with BURN’s carbon strategy. Drive business development through financing partnerships and sales deals. Present and pitch to external parties. When required, represent BURN at conferences and events in Kenya and abroad.
- Partnership Development: Spearhead building strategic global partnerships across the clean cooking sector. Provide close relationship management support, including carrying out regular check-ins with, at times, high-level stakeholders across a diverse range of organizations.
- Expand Carbon Offsetting Footprint: Facilitate growth of BURN’s carbon offsetting projects to new geographies and products by roping in project/business financing from institutional and corporate investors
- Pitch Material Design & Development: Liaison with BURN’s marketing team to design, track and update project and partnership proposals
- Business Intelligence and Lead Generation: Gather critical market information on carbon offsets, including trends, regulations, and competitor activity. Build a strong pipeline of leads that can be tapped into to raise financing or to carry out the strategic sale of credits
- Reporting/Forecasting: Produce regular analytical reports and ad-hoc research papers on key partnerships, business development updates, and market landscapes
Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of Business Development experience: expertise in network building, lead generation, proposal building, partner/client onboarding, and relationship lifecycle management
- Excellent presentation and communication skills: A mastery of stakeholder relationship management and communication, experience in negotiations, ability to network and build relations through online/offline channels, strong written, oral, and visual communication skills
- Self-starter with an emphasis on collaboration: Ability to take ownership and drive initiatives while coordinating with various internal teams to ensure deliverables are executed in line with expectations and within stipulated timelines
- Familiarity with carbon offsetting: basic understanding of carbon methodologies and protocols, global carbon policy, and carbon standards
- Bachelor’s Degree from University
- Fluency in English
- Master’s Degree / MBA
- Language skills in French or German
Qualified Female Candidates encouraged to Apply
BURN does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training, or any other fees).