Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) is one of the largest national humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and alleviating human suffering.
KRCS works in collaboration with other Red Cross Red Crescent partners, including the Danish Red Cross (DRC); which financially and technically contributes to disaster response and resilience programmes throughout the region.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Position Title: Disaster Risk Management Advisor-DRC ( 1 post )
Reporting to: DRC Country Manager -Kenya
Job location: Nairobi, KRCS Headquarters
Danish Red Cross (DRC) has worked closely with KRCS since 2002. Since 2017, DRC’s key focus has been to build a framework for urban resilience in informal settlements in and around urban cities of Nairobi and Mombasa. DRC is also supporting KRCS’s pursuit to mainstream innovation and MHPSS in its programming. In 2021, DRC developed a Country Strategy for Kenya that guides partnership and portfolio development for DRC in Kenya. The DRC country vision for Kenya is that communities are resilient and empowered to engage and contribute to sustainable and inclusive social and economic development. DRC’s yearly budget in Kenya is approximately 10 million DKK, mainly coming from the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Novo Nordisk, and Twinning funds from Danish local branches. The current team in Kenya counts a Country Manager, a Programme Officer, a finance officer, and a driver. Ensuring continuity of health care for crisis-affected populations in East Africa living with non-communicable diseases is one of DRC’s priorities. The Advisor will lead and support the development and implementation of initiatives that will contribute to communities anticipating, coping, and recovering from complex crises. This includes support to KRCS in the development and implementation of long-term resilience programmes as well as short term emergency response operations. The Advisor will liaise with Danish RC Disaster Response Unit on funding for and oversight of emergency response operations in Kenya and technical support to disaster risk management initiatives in Somalia.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise on and provide technical support to the development and implementation of DRC supported disaster risk management initiatives in Kenya
- Contribute to fundraising and resource mobilization for disaster risk management initiatives in line with the DRC country strategy and KRCS strategic plan
- Be focal person at the DRC Kenya country office providing the overall support to community resilience building and continuity in crisis programmes, including DRC related grant management and oversight.
- Support, liaise and collaborate closely with the KRCS programme focal persons to ensure that programmes/operations are well planned, coordinated and implemented in a timely and accurate manner, and as per the technical specifications agreed between DRC and KRCS and in accordance with the back donor requirements.
- Conduct joint monitoring visits with KRCS and implementing partners to the project implementation sites to assess the quality of implementation and gather feedback from beneficiaries and stakeholders for continuous programme delivery improvements.
- Liaise and closely work with the DRC Country Finance Officer to monitor the programme resource allocation from DRC against the resource utilization at the implementers (KRCS) level and advise the Country Manager for relevant and timely action.
- For back donor reporting, coordinate and consolidate the information and reports from KRCS and other implementing partners and prepare annual project progress reports as per DRC reporting requirements.
- Monitor closely and provide relevant technical support to the KRCS Programme focal persons to ensure full compliance with the relevant programmes donor requirements as they relate to the programme and budget management and implementation.
- In Close collaboration with KRCS facilitate potential monitoring visits and/or field audits by the back donor
- Provide technical support to the development and implementation disaster risk management initiatives in Somalia, including the following activities under the ECHO Pilot Programmatic Partnership:
- Protect communities from the impacts of predictable extreme events by supporting the development and testing of early warning systems and early action triggers and standard protocols, through a bottom-up strategy linking community, local and national level, and integrating risk/impact projections
- Support communities to take climate smart, context-specific, and innovative measures to protect their livelihoods and assets, including through climate-smart production, income-generation, and timely safety nets
- Focal person for DRC supported Somalia-Kenya cross-border collaborations and joint programme initiatives across National Societies in the region.
- Responsible for harvesting cross-learning and best practices from the regional programmes/initiatives in close liaison with the respective DRC, National Societies and IFRC and organize a joint/peer learning as may be necessary.
- Provide the CMs with support in maintaining an active engagement with relevant private sector partners relevant for the regional programmes/initiatives.
- Maintain regular dialogue with relevant persons within the Global Partnerships to assure meaningful private sector engagement and liaison
- Act as DRC Field Operations Manager in emergency operations, such floods and droughts responses in Kenya and Somalia or as requested and agreed with relevant line managers
- Engage in relavant DRC matrices and communities of practice, including disaster preparedness, forecast based action
- Daily budget responsibility of programme budget including HQ and Regional Office (RO) expenditures in line with budget guidelines
- Decision-maker in relation to programme implementation in close coordination with KRCS, SRCS and other National Societies in line with standard operational procedures and DRC international and regional strategy and under supervision of the DRC Country Manager.
- Communication in relation to the tasks
- Regular communication with implementing partners in line with DRC partnership approach
- Regular communication with DRC Country Managers in Kenya and Somalia and other DRC in-country delegates and technical experts
- Regular communication with relevant DRC Matrices.
- The delegate is obliged to stay updated on relevant donor rules and regulations, DRC standard operational procedures and guidelines including reports to be submitted as described on the International Platform.
- Communicate need for support to the International Department in close cooperation with the Country Managers
Proven skills and experience:
- University degree in Disaster Management, Public Health, Community development or related field
- Previous experience in Disaster Risk Management, response operations/ programme development and implementation including working within fragile settings is a strong advantage
- Proven experience on Programme and financial management, internal programme and donor reporting, proposal writing and development and maintenance of partner and donor relation management
- Self-management within a distance management setup
- Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent or International Humanitarian agency • Excellent English language skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Result oriented
- Good communicator
In line with the DRC vision, strategic priorities, international and country strategy for Kenya & Somalia:
- Contribute to achieve agreed results as formulated in the country specific performance and implementation plans
- DRC supported projects under the responsibility of the Advisor implemented as planned
- Increased funding for disaster risk management agreed with Country Managers
- New projects and initiatives developed as agreed with Country Managers
- Partnership relations with KRCS and SRCS nurtured and developed in line with DRC partnership approach
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/careers to reach us not later than 13th July 2022; Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification:
Kenya Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.
Kenya Red Cross Society is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment