Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Program Officer, Food & Land Use (FOLU) Job Reference: PO/FOLU/06/2022
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Under its current strategy, AGRA continues to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
FOLU is a self-governed Coalition of organizations and individuals working collaboratively to achieve a shared objective: the urgent transformation of food and land use systems to deliver a better future for people, nature and climate. FOLU supports science-based solutions and helps to build a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities to unlock collective, ambitious action. Globally, FOLU country platforms are operating in: China, Colombia, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia and now in Kenya to build consensus and a movement towards the transformation of food and land use systems. FOLU also has partner networks in Australia, the UK and the Nordic region.
FOLU has been active in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) since 2018 through its partnership with AGRA and the publication of reports such as the People, Health and Nature: a Sub-Saharan African Transformation Agenda. In this phase of its implementation strategy, FOLU is looking to engage more deeply in Africa through the establishment of country platforms/coalitions as is the case of Kenya. With resources moblised from its partners, the FOLU programme seeks to hire a Programme Officer to lead coalition building activities. The position will be based in AGRA which is playing a leading role in FOLU’s engagement in SSA.
To support this objective therefore, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Officer, FOLU.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
The Program Officer role will be responsible for program development, management, research and implementation. More specifically:
- Manage coalition building in target countries.
- Lead and coordinate partner engagement for coalition building and management.
- Policy advisory and advocacy on key issues in food systems transformation.
- Programme and project management – work plan development, implementation and reporting.
- Concept development and resource mobilization for proof point projects on sustainable food systems.
- Communicating the case for change through collaborating and coordinating with the FOLU Partners.
- Leading on and translating research into compelling programmatic interventions, communications materials and content aligned with key frameworks (e.g., Malabo Declaration, CAADAP Biannual Reporting) and priorities to influence stakeholders (including policymakers) in the transformation of food systems and land use systems.
- Drafting briefing papers for policymakers and the private sector for increased investments in sustainability actions in food systems.
- Preparing strategic briefs and advisory notes for management, FOLU Ambassadors and partner organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the successful building of the FOLU Kenya and Ghana FOLU platforms in close collaboration with Coalition partners.
- Provide technical leadership on food systems transformation in Kenya and Ghana – design project activities that align with the coalition platforms’ goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain a database of public and public partners involved in and or driving the food systems transitions in target countries; and lead effective partner mobilization and engagement.
- Develop effective strategies for engaging with farmer organizations including those at sub-national level to catalyze food systems transformation in the two countries.
- Lead the FOLU project implementation and management in AGRA. Annual work plan implementation and monitoring in collaboration with the core partners.
- Lead on preparations for convening of FOLU partners and networks around key selected themes and priorities in food systems.
- Lead on analytics for the identification of country level entry points for FOLU.
- Identify channels and events for the promotion of FOLU evidence and advocacy messages from studies, research and work undertaken in the implementation of the project, such as the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF), the UNFCCC COP event etc
- Support outreach, speech, writing, media pieces and any related materials for information dissemination.
- In collaboration with other teams with the coalition drive resource mobilization.
- Design and lead the implementation of capacity building activities on the integration of sustainability principles in Africa’s agriculture transformation.
- Contribute to strengthened engagement with regional and continental bodies such as the African Union Commission.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Minimum 7 years of experience in relevant work areas, primarily in Africa.
- A Doctorate degree, in agriculture economics, climate change or sustainability studies, agronomy or related fields (or Masters degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience).
- Senior-Level experience designing and implementing programs and/or policy and regulatory reform in a relevant sector.
- Experience in environment, land management, food systems initiatives in a similar environment will be an added advantage.
- Experience in building coalitions or networks of organizations.
- Experience managing complex initiatives (profit and not-for-profit) with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with R&D and analytics organizations.
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards across cultures and countries
- An experienced team member.
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures
- Results and detail orientated with a hands-on approach.
- Excellent problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
- Fluency in English required; ability to communicate in French will be an added advantage.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 14th July,2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer