Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req28993
Job Title: Data Product Developer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Nairobi, IHUB, Kenya
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
To ensure that we are effectively carrying out our mission, we have committed to implement outcome-driven and evidence-based programs, measure what we achieve, act on what we learn, and generate new and relevant evidence. We need to produce high-quality data that can inform decision-making while also meeting donor requirements. The Measurement Unit is responsible for global guidance, resources and coordination to ensure that staff across all our programs are equipped with the skills and tools they need to generate and manage the right data for programmatic decision-making across the IRC. IRC’s M&E efforts rely heavily on technology platforms, and IRC’s Measurement Strategic Plan calls for further investment in and commitment to technology for M&E. Over the coming 2-3 years, the Measurement Technology Team (which sits at the intersection of the Measurement Unit and IT) will design, deliver and support a more comprehensive technology stack for M&E, ensuring Crisis Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) program, technical and M&E staff have access to more comprehensive technology platforms to improve program delivery.
Focused on Measurement technology support, the Data Product Developer is a member of the team responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting IRC’s global technology tools and platform for the organization. This includes CommCare, Microsoft Power BI and Microsoft SQL Server Azure based data warehouse. Working in partnership with staff at various levels and locations, the Data Product Developer performs a key role in analyzing, developing, and improving tools and processes contributing to the successful rollout of the Technology for Measurement products.
Specific tasks include data platform development, support, configuration, technical assistance and issues routing, second line help desk support, and participation in setting standards for processes, data quality, security, and systems configurations.
- Work with the measurement business teams and other stakeholders in requirements gathering and analysis to inform development or improvement of data platforms.
- Develop and support measurement data platforms using CommCare and MS stack technologies (Azure Data Factory, SQL, PowerBi, PowerApps etc), and in accordance with agreed development standards.
- Develop related technical documentation of data platforms developed such as user guides, setup manuals etc for the implementation team and end users.
- Design and model data for technology products to inform development of operational databases.
- Support data architect & engineer in modelling and migration of existing CommCare data into the data warehouse.
- Develop and maintain technology development standards and guidelines to inform best practices in platforms development.
- Ensure adherence to developed standards and guidelines as well as IRC-wide guidelines, standards, and processes, including information / data security policies.
- Provide technology training the business teams, deployment teams and end users on developed platforms.
- Support during rollout of developed data platforms and provide second line technology support to all the deployed platforms.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- At least five years of experience working in technology domain to develop and rollout data platforms for programs – out of which, at least three years of experience developing, implementing, and supporting CommCare applications and Microsoft Power BI dashboards for large and complex programs.
- Experience in public sector programming, and M&E specific technology tools
- Ability to effectively communicate in English both in verbal (i.e. day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written (requirements and design specifications) form, as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Strong analytic curiosity and innovative problem-solving skills using a system thinking approach
- Demonstrable ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional team structure
- Demonstrable ability to establish and maintain working relationships across all departments and levels of the organization
- Direct experience implementing programs or M&E in an international NGO context
- Experience working with enterprise grade systems implemented in multiple departments and countries to collect, store, and visualize data specifically CommCare and PowerBI or similar
- Advanced level experience of MS Excel including developing macros and consolidating data from multiple Excel spreadsheets
- Experience working with Microsoft T-SQL, Azure SQL Server, Data Factory, SSIS/other ETL tools, data modeling and data factory and warehouse development.
- Experience providing support for enterprise-level platforms with significant numbers of users across global time zones and varying IT infrastructure
- Strong experience with mobile data collection and/or case management using CommCare and/or Microsoft PowerApps.
- Experience with enterprise data architectures, integration, and master data management
- Ability to speak, read and understand one other language including French, Spanish and/or Arabic is a very strong advantage
- Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, this role may initially be working remotely and providing remote support. As travel restrictions lift, it is encouraged that the role will transition to an office environment
- Some international travel as needed
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation. IRC is also strongly committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. Respecting diversity means recognizing and valuing the many ways in which people differ and are unique and creating a supportive, inclusive, and non-discriminatory environment in which everyone’s rights are upheld.