Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
This profile leads the finance and administration team and coordinates the Financial management and administrative functions of the Regional office in line with Federation procedures and policies, in a coordinated fashion to compliment the delivery of programming, administrative and financial support to all departments and to ensure the work of the National Societies is facilitated.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Internal Control and Risk Management
- Manage the monthly financial cycle within the defined deadlines.
- Coordinate all work that will easily facilitate and enhance successful audit of the regional office operations and programs.
- Conduct capacity risk assessment for project partners and ensure mitigation measures address major areas of financial risks.
- Perform delegated responsibilities on all financial matters to ensure that internal control is in line and effective as required.
- Ensure proper maintenance of office equipment.
- Be responsible for the finance and administration control environment for the Regional office.
- Support the Head of Finance and Administration to review local administration policies.
- Prepare monthly financial analysis report for the Regional Director, Head of East Africa Cluster clearly highlighting the financial issues and risks.
- Prepare financial analysis reports for heads of units.
- Monitor and report on key performance indicators (KPIs), including cash position for the Regional office and advice on actions to be taken to improve the KPI’s.
- Oversee preparation of accurate, regular and timely donor financial reports.
- Support internal and external audits conducted for the Regional Office and programmes.
- Identify and discuss donor financial reports monthly with the budget holders and program staff and develop a plan of action to address any issues identified.
- Conduct funds transfer spot checks reviews and reports with remedial actions to improve systems within the National Societies.
Audit and Compliance
- Review draft management letters and internal audit reports for the Regional office audits and prepare responses in consultation with the Head of Finance and Administration, Africa.
- Implementation of audit findings for the Regional Office touching on finance & administration.
- Follow up with various risk owners within the Regional office to ensure implementation of internal audit findings.
- Be responsible for implementation of all finance & administration policies and procedures in the Regional office.
- Review all documents for compliance and authorize only if there is full compliance.
Financial Management and Operational support
- Manage the Africa Regional office funds and financial assets under the overall direction of the Regional Director. This will include cash flow, cost control management as well as management of treasury functions.
- Advice the Regional Director, Head of East Africa Cluster, Heads of units and staff on financial matters.
- Coordinate the compilation of Regional office budgets and financial plan under the direction of the Head of finance and administration.
- Manage the budgeting cycle, regularly ensure all program budgets are prioritized in line with available funding and ensure that all project exposure and unfunded items are managed within PEAR approval limits. Monitor the budgets and ensure accurate accounting, authorization, and internal control procedures are implemented. Investigate and address significant variances.
- Prepare, shared office and service costs budget for the Regional office and monitor expenses on a quarterly basis and advice the Regional Director on improvements
- Validate the monthly payroll before onward processing for payment.
- Prepare and review in country costs budgets for respective units to follow up on cash pledges.
- Track, monitor and follow up of income and pledges, identify those that are overdue and advise relevant stakeholders as necessary.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Ensure implementation of pledges is as approved by donors and advise the program managers on any anomalies, extension of time frames as required.
- Provide technical review on agreements being drawn with donors to ensure IFRC financial obligations are in line with defined policies and procedures.
- Work with program teams to ensure expedited cash request transfers to support programs and operations.
- Ensure dormant balance sheet items are analyzed, cleaned and closed.
- Rectify all warning signs in the balance sheet monthly checkup report.
- Prepare and submit monthly cash requests for onward submission to Geneva and ensure funds are available to carry out activities.
- Manage bank account balances to minimize forex losses on cash held.
- Ensure timely reporting and collection of receivables.
- Monitor National Society advances and ensures timely reporting.
- Ensure clearance of working advances from national society are calculated using the transfer rates.
- Follow up on dormant working advance (WA) by working closely with the NS finance team.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Support in the preparation of emergency and DREF budgets and validate the information and present it in standard template.
- Ensure audit provisions are posted for funds transfer societies.
- Ensure provision, accruals and outstanding pledge are cleared prior to preparation of the final report.
- Ensure timely closure of humanitarian response projects and appeals.
National Society Development
- Support development initiatives of the National Societies.
- Support the Head of Finance and Administration in carrying our capacity review and risk assessment of the national societies.
- Provide advice on finance and administrative policies and procedures for implementation by the NS.
- Conduct training on finance and administration to improve systems within the NS.
- Conduct 100% check on all Regional office procurements and only authorize payments after ensuring compliance to IFRC policies.
- Ensure validation of codes and budgets in LR and other documents are accurate.
- Work closely with a dedicated procurement officer to ensure admin procurements are done by OLPSCM.
- Joint Committee of Contract (CoC) for procurement related to regional offices and clusters.
- Supervise day to day management of IFRC premise, maintenance, local procurement of office equipment, furniture and consumables.
- Develop and implement green policy.
- Ensure timely submission of Equipment Tracking register list.
- Coordinate outsourced functions such as housekeeping, conferencing, and catering to ensure cost effectiveness and service delivery in accordance with agreements.
- Ensure that all in-coming international staff are well facilitated, and that they return all equipment, assets and any other property in their possession before they are signed off.
- Implement standardized filing and archiving systems for the Region and Cluster Offices while promoting adherence to the same among program departments.
- Draft and keep up-to-date procedures and guidelines on housing, telephone, travel and other administrative processes as necessary and promote adherence to them.
- Management of administrative contracts signed by the office and service providers.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Commerce or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professional qualification in accounting (Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent)
- Minimum of 9 years of relevant professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years in finance and administration management position
- Minimum of 2 years work experience with an International Organisation, international non-governmental organization, NGO and/or government development agency
- Experience working with the International Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement
- Experience in Team Management and remote support
- Experience in plan & budget, financial analysis & statements, reporting & treasury management, external financial audit.
- Experience working in multicultural environment
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Service minded, ability to lead, delegate and manage from distance
- Result-oriented, ability to lead transitions within a matrix management structure
- Proven good judgment and ability to work with complete integrity and confidentiality, acting as a model of highest integrity in personal capacity and at team level.
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity with internal and external stakeholders
- Good ability in representation, negotiation, networking and communication
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge of financial management and reporting applications (e.g. CODA and Business Objects)
- Understanding of internal control and treasury management concepts
- Financial management,Policies and Planning, Budgets,Financial Analysis, Treasury management and Audit and risk management
- Ability to effectively provide training on finance & administration management matters, contributing to a learning culture, sharing knowledge and engaging partners
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic) will be an advantage.
Competencies and Values
- Collaboration and teamwork.
- Judgement and decision making.
- National Society and customer relations.
- Creativity and innovation; Building trust.
- Managing staff performance.
- Managing staff development.
- Conflict management.
- presentation skills.